birding-aus

Re: birding-aus OCD

To: "David Parker" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus OCD
From: "Brown" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 17:07:12 +1100
David Parker wrote

>So often in the conservation world two words are placed next to a species.
>"Insufficently Known". Imagine what we could learn if for one day, all the
>twitchers were to watch one bird each and write down everything which the
>bird does, be it eat, drink, call, fly or ...... yeah anyway. Maybe this
>thought is less than perfect and has obvious flaws, but what if? I for one
>would be happy to do this, and in my own time, away from work this is what
>a starting to do more of.

I tend to agree with David.

There are so many people out there who could make a real difference to the
conservation of birds and other native flora and fauna.

I believe it would be good if everybody adopted one species and   "put in"
from time to time on actually doing something productive for that organism.
Not just field work but maybe licking stamps or writing to politicians, the
papers or anything.  To quote a person I know  ",,,,everybody should be
doing something".

The aboriginals had totems which meant that a particular animal, (the
persons totem) could not be harmed by that person.  In a similar way, if we
all had one native animal as our own totem we would be obliged to contribute
directly to its conservation.  No doubt this would have a flow on effect to
other species who also utilise the same habitat.

Malcolm Brown
Rye Victoria

quotes)