birding-aus

birding-aus VBR = Vic. Bird Report

Subject: birding-aus VBR = Vic. Bird Report
From: Peter Lansley <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:11:45 +1100
Dear netters,

Firstly I apologise for not explaining the meaning of VBR - it is the
Victorian Bird Report, so interstaters need not read any further. A message
was posted some months ago on birding-aus explaining that VBR is (or was in
the 1980s) an annual report summarizing significant bird records in the
state in a permanent medium, to which future workers may refer. We at HANZAB
certainly find them very useful. At this time only NSW and Tasmania have
ongoing annual bird reports and therefore birds in those two states are far
better documented than elsewhere in Australia. We in Vic. are attempting to
emulate NSW and Tas. in this regard.

However, unless we start getting a lot more records sent in the report is in
danger of collapsing due to lack of interest. One criticism of VBR in the
past has been that contributors are from a small, possibly elite subset of
birdwatchers. This is almost inevitable when the editors are mostly
collecting their info. through personal contacts. It is overcome by having
larger numbers of observers contributing sightings.

So, please contribute. Info. is online at BA webpage
<www.birdsaustralia.com.au>.
Click on the research link and there should be a link to Vic. Bird Report
with instructions and online submission form. Records from rural and
regional areas are particularly sought.

Cheers.
Peter Lansley
Birds Australia