birding-aus

Re: Black-necked Stork

To: Andrew Peter Taylor <>
Subject: Re: Black-necked Stork
From: (andy burton)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:46:41 +1000
>Has anyone got any idea what the status of this bird is on the Sunshine
>Coast (or SE Qld, for that matter)?

Andrew,

No, but as an occasional visitor to the area I have seen them at a minimum
of two sites. The site mentioned by Peter Woodall was well known for some
years as a nesting site. I believe my last sighting was on 28th September
1994 but I did not see them exactly one year later. I'm sure the locals
would have more up-to-date records.

Lake Weyba near Noosa, at the 'airport', from memory about 160 km n. of
Brisbane, is according to the locals a reliable site. Certainly I have seen
this species here both in the mid 1970s and when I last searched on 17th
July 1995, indicating long term use of the area. There was one bird here
while at nearby Lake Donella, a few minutes later, 2 more were seen.

The Lake Weyba sighting was almost surreal as the bird 'danced' in perfect
evening light as the sun set behind us. A magic moment, the Jabiru, eye
alight, feeding and dancing through the shallow water while a pristine,
white Gull-billed Tern, patrolled the shore and dozens of golden Rainbow
Bee-eaters flew low overhead to their roost; Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos
eerily called from the melaleuca swamps, Pied Butcherbirds carolled nearby
and a Little Egret daintily fed on the lake shore. MAGIC!!

On 14th May 1996 I saw another south-east Queensland Jabiru. While
travelling west of Brisbane and heading north to Carnarvon Gorge NP we
birded in the Darling Downs area. 5 km from Jondaryan at Oakey Creek we saw
a single bird flying from east to west.

I have a few other records from the Brisbane / Sunshine Coast area but for
the time being they are unavailabe until I can get my Zip Drive to talk to
my computer.

My guess is that the Black-necked Stork (Jabiru) is an uncommon resident in
south-east Queensland.

Regards, Andy

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours