birding-aus

Re: Birds' eyes

Subject: Re: Birds' eyes
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:34:22 +1000
At 02:16 PM 3/27/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Would Steve or Shane or anyone comment on whether the one way flow
>counter-current system of oxygen exchange in the avian lung would >be
advantageous cf with mammalian lung structure at depths? My >guess it that
while it is an advantageous at high altitudes to >improve oxygen absorption
it doesn't make much difference at >depths because the air is not flowing
through the lungs.

That would be my guess, too.

>How do mammalian dive depths/times records compare with penguins?
Prosser (1973) lists the dive durations of several mammals:

Bottlenose Whale:  2 hours
Sperm Whale: 1.5 hours
Finback Whale: 30 minutes
Harbour Seal: 15 minutes