birding-aus

Re: Inland farms needed

To: RAOU Publicity <>
Subject: Re: Inland farms needed
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 21:36:01 -0800
Hello Bill and Birding-aus subscribers

I have family in the pastoral industry in North Qld, in the Gulf
Country.  They care muchly about the/their land, but the cattle prices
are so low, and the lies politicians and lobbyists are telling about the
High Court judgement on pastoral leases and Native Title are having such
an impresssion, that things are tough.  I am sure, though, that they
would like to contribute to the Birds on Farms project (though they
would laugh at the word 'farms', they are on cattle stations).  The
problem is that they cannot identify the birds.  On the rare occasions
on which I visit, they are fascinated at the size of the bird lists I
prepare for them, of birds seen on their properties.

This is a hypertentaive suggestion, but perhaps it would be possible to
develop a register of people in the bush willing to have birders survey
their properties, and of birders able to go to the bush to undertake the
surveys?  Probably a silly idea, just thought I'd throw it in.

David

--
David McDonald          Telephone:   +61-6-231 8904
PO Box 1355