birding-aus

Re: Any news about Peregrine breeding in Brisbane Ranges?

To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Re: Any news about Peregrine breeding in Brisbane Ranges?
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:22:32 -0812 (EST)
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:09:52 +1000 (EST) Russell Woodford
<> wrote:
>Yesterday after my detour to Point Kirk I did a little climbing at
>Staughton Vale in the Brisbane Ranges (nw of Geelong).
>
>The rock wall is a favourite for climbers and peregrines alike, and is
>closed for climbers between August and November.  I think climbers respect
>this closure.  There was little evidence of recent climbing at the site,
>apart from a few chalk marks here and there.  More noticable was guano
>streaking (Is this what you call peregrine s**t?) from three distinct
>places on the wall.  I was not able to get a close look at any of these  -
>I haven't climbed for a while so was feeling a bit pumped out after the
>first effort!  I did find a few feathers that looked peregrine more than
>anything else.
>
>Does anyone know if any breeding info was collected during the last season
>for this site?  I've only seen adult birds around the north end of Geelong
>in recent months.

Russell,

I had a chat with Victor Hurley, who has been monitoring Peregrine nesting
throughout Victoria for the past few years.  He said that the site you refer to
almost certainly fledged one chick last year - the first successful attempt for
many years.  Disturbance by climbers in past years is likely to have
contributed
to nesting failures.

The guano from raptors on cliff sites is often referred to as 'whitewash', for
obvious
reasons.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Temby
Flora & Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources & Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC  3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429