birding-aus

Point Kirk (near Geelong)

Subject: Point Kirk (near Geelong)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:00:38 +1000 (EST)
I visited this area (off Point Wilson Road) which lies between the
southern end of Lake Borrie and the non-accessible Murtcaim Wildlife
Reserve (early afternoon Wed 8th January '97).

Highlights:

11 or 12 Pacific Golden Plover
Crested Tern, Fairy Tern and Little tern all sitting together just off
shore
several Little Black Cormorants (with other cormorants)
several large groups of Golden-headed Cisticola, many in great colour
Swamp Harrier  - always around here, but one flew VERY close, permitting
great views
2 Little Eagles (on Prince's Freeway)
Brown Falcons seem to be everywhere around here at the moment

Russell Woodford
Geelong
Victoria

first effort!  I did find a few feathers that looked peregrine more than
anything else.

Does anyone know if any breeding info was collected during the last season
for this site?  I've only seen adult birds around the north end of Geelong
in recent months.

Cheers

Russell Woodford
Geelong