birding-aus

Mystery museum specimen

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Mystery museum specimen
From: Geoff Shannon <>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 21:15:17 +1100
I agree this is a juvenile Strong-billed Honeyeater. Geoff Shannon (Tasmania)

On 21 Feb 2021, at 13:34, Philip Veerman <> wrote:

Hi Charles,, yes that is about the scale of the problem. I have deleted your bunny-bird because the file is so big. I can search for the photo of the composite bird I mentioned and send to you. Remember the platypus was thought to be a concoction, so the practise was known. And why wouldn’t taxidermists of the times create the occasional fake, just out of boredom, humour or because part of specimens was damaged. By the way, I logged onto that site yesterday and had to verify my log on, to send the same comment, then could not find how to access that photo again or add comment.

Philip