birding-aus

2019 eBird Taxonomy Update

To: "'Bill Stent'" <>
Subject: 2019 eBird Taxonomy Update
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:58:59 +1000

Really? Taxonomy is the starting point of the issue. Without taxonomy there would not be any names as we understand them. Taxonomy is the science or the set of protocols that influences names. Often it adds a lot of fun or intrigue and relevant understanding. My view is that some of these changes are important when identifying significantly different populations, whereas some just maybe are actually trivial. Bill, if you mean you are annoyed by changes in lists, possible confusion and the subsequent expenditure on revised books, especially in those trivial cases, due to new understandings of taxonomy, well I reckon that is a quite defensible personal comment.

Don’t ask me to list what are trivial cases………….

Philip