birding-aus

Birdata pickup from eBird surveys

To: Tony Ashton <>
Subject: Birdata pickup from eBird surveys
From: Mona Loofs-Samorzewski <>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 16:46:12 +1000
I have noticed the halt in the transfer of data from eBird to Birdata also,
nothing seems to have happened in that regard for several years. I have no idea
why, but I have a related question - if you submit a list to eBird, and it (one
day) gets transferred to Birdata, what happens if later you correct or update
that list, will the corrections ever be translated over to Birdata? Or does it
only ever take a snapshot of new lists each time a transfer happens? I can see
it would be fiendishly complicated to connect the two databases seamlessly.
Mona

> On 11 Sep 2018, at 3:49 pm, Tony Ashton <> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I stopped listing on Birdata (too clunky) long ago. My listings then went
> via Eremaea to Birdata. Then with eBird I chose where possible one the
> three survey types (2ha 20min; 500m radius; 5km radius) affording transfer
> of my near daily listings to Birdata. But almost three years ago, unknown
> to me (and, I guess, others) Birdlife met 'problems'. No transfers, in my
> case, since end of September 2015. So, roughly 30,000 sightings tucked away
> by and for me on eBird. None on Birdata.
>
> I'm interested in all comments,
> Cheers,
> Tony Ashton  (http://tytotony.blogspot.com/)
> <HR>