birding-aus

RFI (basic) re Middle East stopover

To: Tom Wilson <>, birding aus <>
Subject: RFI (basic) re Middle East stopover
From: David Billinghurst <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:20:57 +0000
On 07-Oct-17 6:48 PM, Tom Wilson wrote:
> Hi all
> I will be travelling back to the UK for a family event in March 2018 and,
> based on current offers, it looks like one of the three Middle East carriers
> is going to get the honour of flying me there and back.  I think I can
> possibly arrange a short stop in the relevant hub with no or very little
> extra cost, so my basic RFI question is, which of these three stops would be
> recommended as a place to stop for a 24-36 hour or so stopover for birding –
> Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha?  I’m thinking about ease of access to sites and the
> like.
> I’ll be doing some scouring of the internet, including the b-aus archives to
> check out sites, guides, birding pals etc as well.
> Cheers
> Tom Wilson

I had an interesting time birding around Dubai during work visits in the
late 1990s.  There was plenty to see in the larger city parks and also
in the bushy (scrubby) parks on the outskirts of town.  Nearly
everything was a tick for me.  For example, flamingos (and other
shorebirds) at Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary on Dubai Creek and hoopoes
in the grounds of the facility I was working at.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>