birding-aus

How do social birds like corvids relate to the cuckoo chicks raised by t

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: How do social birds like corvids relate to the cuckoo chicks raised by their neighbours?
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 09:42:38 +0000
Earlier this year I came across an immature CB Cuckoo sitting on a power line
in association with its hosts. The thing was that there was quite a space
between the CBC and the half dozen crows on the line.  I got the impression
that the crows were uneasy with the CBC in their midst.

That got me to thinking.  Clearly cuckoo hosts can be fooled into raising
cuckoo chicks - presumably because they are similar enough to their own young
when they hatch.  As the chicks grow, they become less like their hosts.  The
question is how do the non loco parentis members of the host species relate to
the interlopers in their midst?

Regards, Laurie
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list