birding-aus

RFI (basic) re Middle East stopover

To: Wendy Cayless <>
Subject: RFI (basic) re Middle East stopover
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 18:47:54 +0000
This page <http://www.uaebirding.com/uaeguiding.html> seems to be useful
(the contacts page has a range of email addresses).  This
<http://www.timeoutdubai.com/community/features/62842-birdwatching-in-dubai>is
interesting and seems to cover more or less the time of year you'll be
there.

On my one visit to Dubai (2005) I corresponded with the UAE birding group
and found them very helpful.  I didn't use their guiding services as I
wanted to basically have a snuffle round the older part of Dubai for the
available day as well as spotting birds.

Martin

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 7 October 2017 at 21:40, Wendy Cayless <> wrote:

> March is migration period.  Should be good birding.
>
> I've only birded in Qatar. The best place to bird is Irkhayya Farm but you
> will need a local to take you there.  It's about an hour's drive from the
> airport.  There is a Qatar Birding List (not sure how active it still is)
> or the Qatar Natural History Group which could put you in touch with a
> local birder.  let me know if you choose Qatar and I can link you up.
>
> Wendy
> (lived in Qatar 2013-2016)
>

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Tom Wilson <>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> > I will be travelling back to the UK for a family event in March 2018 and,
> > based on current offers, it looks like one of the three Middle East
> > carriers is going to get the honour of flying me there and back.  I
> think I
> > can possibly arrange a short stop in the relevant hub with no or very
> > little extra cost, so my basic RFI question is, which of these three
> stops
> > would be recommended as a place to stop for a 24-36 hour or so stopover
> for
> > birding – Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha?  I’m thinking about ease of access to
> > sites and the like.
> > I’ll be doing some scouring of the internet, including the b-aus archives
> > to check out sites, guides, birding pals etc as well.
> > Cheers
> > Tom Wilson
> > <HR>
> > <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> > <BR>
> > <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> > </HR>
> >
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>