birding-aus

Blackbird migratory behaviour in Australia?

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Blackbird migratory behaviour in Australia?
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:15:09 +0000
Thanks Philip.

That's where simple abundance measures from a location don't really tell
the whole story. The relative abundance of resident blackbirds in Tylden is
the same today as it was yesterday - except that a significant number of
non local birds moved through and out. If I hadn't been out walking the dog
I'd be none the wiser!

There are various locations around here that are 100-300m higher in
altitude (so up towards 1000m). I surmise that any blackbirds that are on
the move have come from altitude.

Regards

Lawrie

Dr. Lawrie Conole