birding-aus

In search of the Night Parrot

To: Anne Brophy <>
Subject: In search of the Night Parrot
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:43:54 +0000
Over the years various the occasional truck driver has told me of sighting
small, squat, green parrots while driving in outback Australia.  Although I’ve
not heard similar reports from road workers, it seems feasible that they too
may have had such sightings.  Why not survey this lot as well?

Kind regards

Denise

On 20 Apr 2017, at 8:07 am, Anne Brophy <> wrote:

> Dear Helen, Graeme and Peter,
>
> Surely there is a log or database of sightings ranging from the confirmed to
> the mythological in regards to Night Parrots? John Young and others must have
> used something along these lines to initiate their searches. A search through
> the literature, museum records and that valuable commodity of searches past,
> "heresay".
>
> Strikes me that now is the time to add the “heresay" and gossip to the debate
> and see what patterns emerge. This must have been done by someone… if not, in
> the age of social media, it is the time to start before its too late and the
> “sources" are not available any more to living memory!
>
> Kind regards,
> Anne
>
>> On 19 Apr 2017, at 16:04, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a central repository of all these possible/probably Night Parrot
>> sightings? Given that a lot of them had until recently not much more
>> credibility than a thylacine sighting, I wonder if most of them were never
>> reported.
>>
>> Peter Shute
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On 19 Apr 2017, at 2:07 pm, Graeme Chapman
>>> <> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Helen,
>>>
>>> Your information about a sighting at Ardmore Station is quite important,
>>> because that is not far from Devoncourt where there have also  been reports
>>> in the past.
>>>
>>> The ranges SW of Cloncurry may well be another "hot spot" for Night
>>> Parrots, although a concerted search for them there some years ago was
>>> unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> I know of two other "heresay" reports from that area, one of them a bird
>>> caught in a mist net.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>
>>> Graeme Chapman
>>> <HR>
>>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>>> <BR>
>>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>>> </HR>
>>
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>
> </HR>

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Nominated by Earthfoot for Condé Nast’s International  Ecotourism Award, 2004.

Liaison Officer, NT Field Naturalists’ Club
Winner, Individual Champion Award, Natural Resource Management, Northern
Territory, Australia, 2016.

With every introduction of a plant or animal that goes feral this continent
becomes a little less unique, a little less Australian.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>