birding-aus

Unusual Brown Falcon Behaviour

To: "" <>
Subject: Unusual Brown Falcon Behaviour
From: Maris Lauva <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 13:38:03 +0000
Whist on a Great Western Woodlands survey last month north of Koolyanobbing in
the Helena and Aurora ranges we saw some puzzling behaviour.

One morning 2 of us saw a Brown Falcon enter a large tree hollow. It was
shortly afterwards photographed with its head sticking out but not seen to fly
out. Late in the same day 3 others of us saw at what we established was the
same tree a Falcon again enter the same hollow. It was not subsequently seen.

I'm told Brown Falcons do not breed in tree hollows. Does anyone have
information that could otherwise explain this behaviour?

Regards - Maris Lauva
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>