birding-aus

yellow-rumped pardalote

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: yellow-rumped pardalote
From: casliber0134 <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 03:45:01 +0000
Hi Peter,
funny you should bring this up now as I have been reading and dumping
material on wikipedia. The yellow-rumped pardalote has been asubject of
controversy over the years (the story of its naming is fascinating). Julian
Ford said that evidence for hybridization in the southwest was lacking, and
maybe in South Australia too, and that land clearing might have facilitated
hybridization in the east. Schodde (1999 Directory of Australian Birds)
seemed to dismiss Ford's evidence as anecdotal. DNA work would be
fascinating...
Cas

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Peter Lansley via Birding-Aus <
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> agree that the spotted/yellow-rumped pardalote Pardalotus
> punctatus/xanthopyge group needs further taxonomic review. By the way, I
> studied vocalisations of the south-eastern subspecies of Striated Pardalote
> P. striatus (which supported their conspecificity) and cannot in fact
> recall writing about the spotted group.
> It is not quite true to say there is no reported interbreeding of spotteds
> & yellow-rumps. This was published way back in 1983 by JCZ Woinarski (Emu
> 83:80-86). I believe John's field study took place at Millwood Dam, Bendigo
> Whipstick/Kamarooka forest (now part of Greater Bendigo NP, Vic.). I
> believe some interbreeding has also been reported from the Adelaide region
> of SA but don't have any details to hand.
> This does not however mean the two should be lumped. As noted by others,
> the vocalisations (of punctatus vs. xanthopyge)  are distinctive and the
> habitats occupied by each are quite sharply differentiated. The two taxa
> maintain their distinct populations at the boundary of quite small
>  isolated mallee remnants surrounded by box-ironbark woodland in Victoria
> (e.g. Bendigo whipstick, Rushworth Forest and even the Long Forest near
> Bacchus Marsh), as is seemingly also the case in WA as noted by Frank
> O'C.Interbreeding over such a small geographical area would not seem to
> preclude the two being considered separate species, as is the case for the
> Eastern, Pale-headed & Northern Rosella group (although being parrots, has
> science been thrown out the window to give them special treatment not
> afforded to the less iconic small passerines??)
> The two pardalotes should certainly be considered as ecological species
> under one of the Phylogenetic species concepts, even if they don't quite
> qualify as species under the Biological species concept. They would appear
> to be more distinctive as a species pair than Yellow-throated and
> Black-eared Miners. Genetic analysis? - bring it on!
> While we're on the subject of splitting and lumping, how about the
> shrike-tits? Obviously isolated geographically and distinctive
> morphologically, and vocalisations also differ at least in some respects
> (see Graeme Chapman's website for calls of Northern). What are the
> taxonomists waiting for ?
> CheersPeter
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list