birding-aus

Heavily tinted car windows + birding

To: Laurie Knight <>, Experience the Wild <>
Subject: Heavily tinted car windows + birding
From: Maris Lauva <>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 12:49:30 +0000
People look and PHOTOGRAPH birds through glass?! Tinted or not, that is not a
good thing. Windows down is the only way to go. If you're thinking "oh right -
Sunny west" try spotlighting at Dryandra when it's 5 Deg. and a 20 KPH wind.

Having said that I have the standard tint on my Prado because it is more
effective at rejecting the heat of direct sunlight. Sure our sun is high middle
of the day but there's a  few hours every day where you could spend time with
direct sunshine on you. But even then, as I slow down for a bird the first move
is to wind windows down. And I agree with the white car/SUV (slab sides)
brigade.

My understanding is even clear glass is pretty effective at rejecting UVF.