birding-aus

Spotting scope query

To: 'Ben Lawson' <>, "" <>
Subject: Spotting scope query
From: Paul Dodd <>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 05:42:27 +0000
HI Ben,

Much as I'd like to push you down the technology path, could you not
simply use a straight spotting scope (rather than an angled one) with a
tall tripod. No bending, no neck-craning involved. Most spotting-scope
manufacturers have straight versions of their scopes, and tall tripods are
relatively easily obtained (although might be a little more expensive).

If that approach doesn't fit the bill, what about just using a digital
camera with a good zoom. Nikon has the P900 (83x zoom), Canon has the SX60
(65x zoom), I'm sure Panasonic and other manufacturers have similar
cameras. They all have an electronic viewfinder (effectively an eyepiece)
and a screen. Couple that with a tall tripod and you'll come in well under
budget. Be warned though, any electronic solution is going to have two
drawbacks - the electronic viewfinders are not as "high resolution" as
your eyes through an optical telescope (and they suffer from a little
"lag" - in other words, they're not precisely real-time viewers), AND the
screens on the backs of the cameras can be difficult to see in bright
daylight - you may need to come up with some way of shielding the screen
from the ambient light (some black cardboard, or black cloth, perhaps).

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria