birding-aus

Spotting scope query

To: Ben Lawson <>
Subject: Spotting scope query
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 01:56:34 +0000
I'm not in need of such equipment myself, but I'm very interested to hear what
you come up with.

I believe some cameras these days can connect to a phone, etc, via
Bluetooth(?), allowing one to see what's on the camera screen from a distance,
in order that you can take shots remotely. Perhaps something like that might
work for you. Can anyone who has such a camera explain how it works?

If that works, you could either use the camera with a big lens, or attach it to
your scope. I'm guessing the resolution and speed of screen updates might be
disappointing, as would screen glare in sunlight, but it might be the best one
can do.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

> On 11 May 2016, at 10:14 AM, Ben Lawson <> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I am seeking advice from tech inclined birders.
>
> I have previously used a spotting scope for birdwatching as I'm unable to
> use binoculars. However as a result a recent medical issue I'm no longer
> able to crane my head to look through the eyepiece of the scope. To allow
> me to continue birdwatching, I'm looking for a device with the zoom and
> clarity of a spotting scope but where the 'view' can be seen on a screen
> without craning my neck.
>
> My web searches so far have not turned up much. I have looked into the
> Minox Digital Camera Module -
> http://www.payworxx.de/minox/product_info.php?language=en&info=p359_MINOX-Digital-Camera-Module-DCM-for-Leica.html&XTCsid=215
>  - however the reviews are mixed and it seems to have been discontinued.
> Another option would seem to be some form of video camera with a flip out
> screen, however I'm unsure if this would have the clarity and zoom of a
> scope?. My budget would be $1500 max.
>
> My interest is in birdwatching rather than photography or videography ie
> the idea of a viewing screen is simply so I can birdwatch, not record them.
> I would prefer an 'off the shelf' type solution if possible but could
> probably muster some technical 'build' assistance if absolutely necessary.
>
> I would be most appreciative of any advice anyone can offer so I can get
> back birdwatching soon. Please email me directly as I'm not sure the topic
> will be of great interest to most birding-aus folk.
>
> Many thanks for your time.
>
> Regards, Ben, Brisbane
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list