birding-aus

The Decline of BA

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: The Decline of BA
From: "R. Bruce Richardson" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:44:15 +0000
Truly, Facebook is being embraced by an increasingly larger number of birders.
It is a wonderful way to make new friends and exchange information. We just
returned from Kangaroo Island where most of our local birding info (we got all
of our target birds) came from new (and some old) Facebook friends. We also
believe in, and use “books.” Yes, the hard copy, printed things… our trusty,
Dolby and Clarke as well Chris Baxter’s book, Birds of Kangaroo Island were by
our sides.

I will add that eBird is a phenomenal resource! The “Explore Data” section is
wonderful! It must be seen and used to be believed. The “Explore A Region” is
amazing, so much information right at our fingertips… lists and maps, dates and
times... But for eBird to work at its best, people need to post their lists.
So, remember to post your lists!

Cheers,
R. Bruce Richardson

On Jan 5, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>> On 5 Jan 2016, at 12:28 PM, Tony Russell <> wrote:
>>
>> Some information that used to come through b-a is now
>> being transferred to other media and I think this is a pity because not all
>> birders use some of those other feeds and the info fails to reach as
>> comprehensive a list of birders as it used to. It has become much more time
>> consuming to flick through facebook, twitter, etc, as well as b-a.
>
> I'm not that fussed that some material is being submitted elsewhere. My
> concern is that it's being submitted in so many other places that it's
> difficult to keep up with it. As well, postings are often duplicated in
> several Facebook groups, so the responses are also scattered.
>
>> I guess
>> one reason for the change is that the other feeds carry pictures easily
>> whereas b-a is limited to mostly just text and by the no attachment rule
>> imposed some years ago.
>
> Birding-aus does allow jpg files to be posted, as of early 2015. The total
> message size is limited to about 200KB, but moderators can let through bigger
> ones at their discretion.
>
> Peter Shute
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list