birding-aus

marketing and BirdLife

To: 'Shirley Cook' <>, 'Messages Birding-aus' <>
Subject: marketing and BirdLife
From: Ken Cross <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 21:12:01 +0000
My ramble;
This thread has gone on for long and I am wondering what will be achieved.
The world we live in is very far from perfect and many worthwhile
organisations need members and money and support. Criticism of Birdlife for
sending out appeals seems a little silly; particularly if your main
criticism is 'I find it annoying'. I understand it in the context of every
other email, phone call, letter we get from everyone but understand EVERYONE
is struggling with this. Pick your fav's, support them, harden your heart
and tear up the rest.
 Having said that, we are the birds' main hope. Birdlife should be our
charity of choice.
Now Mr Leonard probably has some reasonable points although I would phrase
it less harshly than him. There is room for improvement for Birdlife. It has
disappointed me that Birdlife [and its predecessors] have remained invisible
from the general public and I suspect politicians for so long.
I too, echo, Shirley's Cook's frustration that when we are visual we turn
into beggars with the constant pushing for donations. When our group has
done interpretive stands for Birdlife we have been told to 'push for
donations' before, it seems, whether we know they [the public] has an
interest in birds or not. I feel more confident about encouraging membership
than point blank asking for cash..
Perhaps we should start suggesting ways to improve Birdlife and the ways in
which they can attract more capital.
Cheers
Ken