birding-aus

Is anyone else sick of BirdLife Australia marketing?

To: "" <>
Subject: Is anyone else sick of BirdLife Australia marketing?
From: Maris Lauva <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 03:06:23 +0000
Like everyone I am sick of getting the begging letters and don't even open them
now. On the other hand I'm very active in an ambitious Birdlife conservation
project and understand the need for money. In WA the Great Western Woodlands
project is currently unfunded, run entirely by Birdlife volunteer effort and
intending to continue surveys through to 2024 in the world's largest remaining
temperate woodlands. It seems that because we are not trying to pull a
particular species back from the brink there is little prospect of funding by
direct donation, although I believe Birdlife are pretty active behind the
scenes in trying to bring high wealth individuals on board. In our (the GWW
Volunteer committee) pursuit for outside grants we are learning that money for
conservation is really tight. We have successfully achieved one grant to enable
surveys to proceed in the extremely remote parts of the woodlands - Even those
are conducted by volunteers but some of their costs are subsidised. The
  great majority of the ongoing effort is unfunded. The result is that our data
is presently not being utilised as it should due to the lack of a professional
paid ecologist to do analysis.

To conduct conservation activities Birdlife must raise funds. I wonder about
the cost/benefit of frequent appeals but I'm no expert. I won't criticise them
for the effort.

To find out about the Great Western Woodlands Project:
http://birdlife.org.au/projects/great-western-woodlands/latest-news-gww
 or contact me, Volunteer Surveys Coordinator at  I will be
updating the site today to advise of Autumn 2016 surveys.
Perhaps people driving west would like the opportunity to carry out some
surveys on their way to Perth. You'd be passing through part of the Woodlands.
It's beautiful country.

Maris Lauva
040302 9051