birding-aus

Emus and Pines

To: 'Greg and Val Clancy' <>, 'Kim Sterelny' <>, 'Peter Shute' <>, 'David Clark' <>
Subject: Emus and Pines
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 00:43:52 +0000
I think the value of pine plantations as habitat for birds depends on the
location of the plantation, the types of microhabitats within it, and the
nature of the surrounding landscape.

Remnant woodland in the predominantly agricultural landscape on SW
South-west Slopes of NSW can be quite scarce.  I've found that pine
plantations that adjoin patches of eucalypt woodland, especially alongside
roadside eucalypt woodland corridors, can have quite a lot of native birds,
including small passerines such as Red-capped Robins, Yellow-rumped
Thornbills and White-plumed Honeyeaters. I don't know if they use these pine
plantations for refuge, foraging and/or nesting, but obviously if there is
invasion of native understorey and groundcover plant species from the
neighbouring eucalypt woodland, or if there is riparian vegetation along
creeks within the pine plantation, the more likely that it would be suitable
as habitat for a range of bird species and activities.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW