birding-aus

Eungella Honeyeater

To: Alan Gillanders <>, Tony Russell <>, Elliot Leach <>, "" <>
Subject: Eungella Honeyeater
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:39:05 +0000

Thanks Alan & Tony,

So Alan, would I be right in thinking that Syzygium would be a Lilly-Pilly or
Satin-Ash? They certainly have great flowers that would keep many hungry
honeyeaters sated, that's for sure!

I think it's interesting for us to take some note of what Eungella Honeyeaters
are eating when we observe them, and at what time of year. Then we can share
some good information that should help other birders visiting the Mackay area
in locating this (sometimes hard to locate) species.

Speaking from my own personal experience from some years back, the first couple
of times that I looked for these birds were both rather rushed, and
consequently, unsuccessful.   When I'm searching for a certain species, I don't
just head into the bush and start playing their calls - that's not my style.
But I had made sure that I'd learned the Eungella Honeyeater calls before
looking for them. I visited Diggings Rd, Chelmans Rd, Snake Rd, and the end of
Dalrymple Rd, among other sites. But I didn't hear or see a single Eungella HE
- however, being somewhat rushed for time on both occasions, I didn't feel too
hard done by in missing them. That's just birding... On the occasions that I
have seen this species since, it has definitely been very helpful having some
idea of what the birds may be feeding on at the time... cheers, martin
cachard,trinity beach (cool, windy, & wet today grrr!!!),cairns.

> To: ; ;
> ;
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Eungella Honeyeater
> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:58:41 +1000
>
> In May this year I saw a flock of at least eight birds feeding in two
> Syzygium about 700 metres into the forest at the end of Dalrymple Road.
> Maria got two birds further on. They were heard in ones and twos at other
> sites but not sighted.
> REgards,
> Alan
>

> Alan's Wildlife Tours