birding-aus

Eungella Honeyeater

To: Peter <>, Elliot Leach <>, christina port <>, "" <>
Subject: Eungella Honeyeater
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 20:37:11 +0000
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for this great information - I'm sure that it won't be only
Christina who will find this extremely useful when searching for Eungella
Honeyeaters...

Do you know the flowering season for Climbing Pandan? From your notes below, it
appears to flower from at least late Sept-early November...

I think Christina is planning her visit therefore possibly before these blooms
appear - or maybe not, if the pandan start to flower earlier than this, or if
she is there later than I think...(???).

When I last saw this honeyeater, it was in the 2nd or 3rd week of June in 2010,
when there was a great deal of mistletoe around. And that was what they were
getting into along the lower part of Snake Rd, and along Dalrymple Rd between
its junction with Snake Rd and Chelmans Rd. The birds were quite vocal with
their distinctive calls.

What were your observations Elliot with regard to what the honeyeaters were
eating, and do you recall what month of the year these obs were made?

This could become a very interesting thread I feel...

cheers,
martin cachard,
trinity beach (& it's still perfect!!),
cairns.

> To: ; ;
> ;
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] I am trying to find some birds
> Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 17:44:36 +1000
>
> Hello Martin
>
> I replied directly to Christina as below:
>
> I was recently working in the Mackay area for 10 months
>
> The most reliable sites to see this bird is wherever climbing pandan is
> flowering.
> I have found Chelmans Road to be the most reliable.
> At the top of the range you drive west about 100 metres and then turn north
> into Cummings Street that becomes Dalrymple Road.
> Follow Dalrymple Rd until you see Snake Road on the left.
> Chelmans Road is another 50m on the left.
> Follow Chelmans Rd until the end, gate to the state forest – I usually see
> Eungella Honeyeater in the trees on the left.
> If no sighting there drive along Snake Road.
> If no sighting there return to the township and follow the Eungella Dam road
> towards Broken River.
> After about 1 km you should see Diggings Rd on the right. I have never had
> to use this road.
>

> Peter Crane
>
> My pic sessions at Chelmans Rd were:
> 29/9/13 - a birding weekend in Mackay before I knew that I would be moving
> there, pic attached with climbing pandan flower, good numbers of EH
> 2/11/14 - good numbers, higher up in canopy, also seen along Dalrymple Rd
> from Snake Rd to the end (refer Elliot's comment)
> 1/5/15 - one only, no flowering pandan
>
> Memory suggests that I went there more than twice in the 10 months but I do
> not have pics and haven't searched my paper records.
>

> PC

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>