birding-aus

Superzoom cameras

To: David Burren <>
Subject: Superzoom cameras
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:58:35 +1100
The reason I bought a Leica was purely emotional. My dad had a collection of
pre war Leicas, which, unfortunately had to be sold on his death. Since then I
long wanted a Leica. I had some spare funds, so I bought it. It has been a
handy travel camera. Also, it has a different rendering engine, which gives a
somewhat better colour rendition than the Panasonic.

Is the extra price worth it? Probably not for most people. But for me, yes.

Carl Clifford

> On 30 Mar 2015, at 1:35 pm, David Burren <> wrote:
>
>> On 30 Mar 2015, at 12:26 pm, Carl Clifford <> wrote:
>>
>> Not happy though. I paid $1000 for a Leica V Lux 4 2 years ago. Now Nikon
>> has come out with a model with over 3 times the reach, at ¾ the price. Not
>> fair.
>

> Firstly, there's the issue of the significant "Leica tax" of getting a V Lux
> 4 instead of the identical Panasonic FZ200 (ok, someone's going to try to
> convince me there's a miniscule difference in those models...) which was
> around 2/3 the price of the Leica. Ok, for the extra $$ you got a red dot,
> and maybe Adobe Lightroom 4?
>
> In fact that price difference makes irrelevant the fact that 2 years is a
> long time in the camera world today! There's usually a camera available
> "tomorrow" with more features and a lower cost.
>
> Mind you, you might find that your Leica has a better re-sale value than the
> equivalent Panasonic. Maybe that will make you feel better...
>
> __
> David

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list