birding-aus

suitable camera - for beginners

To: Stephen <>,
Subject: suitable camera - for beginners
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:33:55 +1100
Dear Stephen,
I don't know if you have much photographic experience or much bird experience. My requirements when I came back to bird photography were light weight and simplicity of operation. (When I was using film I had a Pentax-K and assorted lenses up to 500 ml, but this rig is just impossibly heavy now). My present Panasonic Lumix FZ150 is satisfactory for me. I am the first to agree that it does not have the long-distance range for distant waders or seabirds, but at medium-range I find it satisfactory for hand-held work. Tripods and monopods are too much to lug around for me.
But it would be quite satisfactory as a learning camera.  Cost about $1000.
I am in no sense a great photographer. But I do get a good image from time to time and this camera has taught me a lot.

Anthea Fleming