birding-aus

Responsibility for Night Parrot conservation

To: Shirley Cook <>
Subject: Responsibility for Night Parrot conservation
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:56:34 +1100
Dear Shirley

Although I have respect for much of your work, your posting in this instance is out of line, insulting towards a person who deserves much greater respect from the birding world. For good reasons, many people dread government intervention in conservation programs. Common themes in many Government led conservation initiatives include incompetence, wasteful funding, deceitful cover ups and failure. The only Govt involvement in this program should be when the Qld Govt appoints John Young to a "Permanent Full Time" senior management position with a major responsibility in charge of Night Parrot conservation. Regarding Night Parrots and fire, the discussion so far seems to have missed an important point. Across our fine continent, most of the potential habitat for Night Parrot is burnt regularly, not just from fires started by lightning and pastoralists but mostly from fires started by our Indigenous brothers and sisters who, until recently, were encouraged by "The Government" in the name of Climate Change Policy, paying them money from "Carbon Credits" to do it.

John Young should be encouraged and supported to succeed in this fine endeavour.
regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania
0428337956

.
Shirley Cook wrote:

Dear all,

For your consideration, I pass on this comment from a friend who has had many
productive years and experience dealing with the Queensland Wildlife
authorities:

"John Young's bizarre views on society are his own business and perhaps he
ruminates on them as he moves around the outback on government-provided roads ('The
depths some twitchers will go to tick the Night Parrot', 20 Feb).

"The conservation of the Night Parrot is, in the present case, the responsibility of
the Queensland Wildlife authorities and for better or worse the information to allow them
to get on with it should be given over to them.  At least we will know that the effort is
in the hands of a disinterested group which will work in the interests of the bird and
not in the interests of some longer range plan perhaps involving, dare I say it, the
profit motive."

Regards

Shirley Cook
<HR>