birding-aus

Responsibility for Night Parrot conservation

Subject: Responsibility for Night Parrot conservation
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:21:54 +1000
Hello Shirley,

>From your comments it's clear where you stand on this issue.

I'd just like to comment on your last paragraph.

"The conservation of the Night Parrot is, in the present case, the
responsibility of the Queensland Wildlife authorities ...."     - agreed,
however it's your "for better or worse" that worries me, particularly the
"worse"'.  Just "allow them to get on with it" is not good enough. Would they?

First of all do Qld National Parks and Wildlife currently employ anyone who
knows anything about Night Parrots? I doubt it, but perhaps someone from Moggil
might care to comment, that is if there is actually anybody left there.

Would they actually employ people, not just a leader but a proper research
group? No! Because they haven't got the money. It would cost millions. Could
they even find anyone of the calibre, dedication and field expertise of John? I
doubt it.

In recent years governments of all persuasions ( except perhaps in W.A.) are
bashing the environment, because they can.

As far as the lawyers and accountants that run this world are concerned the
Night Parrot might just as well be another "jumped-up Corella"!

Maybe we should all put our money where our mouth is and support private
enterprise - like AWC and Bush Heritage - Governments are all too busy with the
increase in human population and funding the necessary infrastructure such as
boring tunnels under our major cities.

And you wonder where all the money goes these days.

Yours

A disillusioned senior citizen.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list