birding-aus

Feral cats - an export market?

To: Allan Richardson <>, "" <>
Subject: Feral cats - an export market?
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:27:40 +1100

that's a very very good point Allan,
but something is better than nothing, for now... I do like the bounty idea
though (not that i'm a Katter fan!!)... make it a good healthy high one, if
that's viable, but let's not encourage the hunting fraternity to just get out
there & blast everything to smithereens!!( my apologies to the responsible
hunters on this list - but i'm referring to the hunters that shoot anything &
everything when they get the chance, not the hunters who can pick the
difference between a deer or wild pig or roo (or cat for that matter!!) from a
Freckled Duck, for instance... cheers,martin cachard, cairns

> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:05:33 +1100
> CC:
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Feral cats - an export market?
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> The problem with making a business venture out of any pest species, is that
> once up an running, the business proprietors have a vested interest in
> sustaining the source of their business.
>
> Goats in NSW seem to be a case in point - I think there was a hope that a
> value placed on their head would make farmers eradicate them, but those I’ve
> spoken to see them as a bank account they can draw on every year, just like
> any other flock. The numbers of goats we saw out west on a recent trip was a
> little overwhelming.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allan
>
> > On 19 Feb 2015, at 10:12 am, Philip Veerman <> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to add a bit to this. When I was in China 5 years ago at
> > various places (though mostly in the poorer small cities), I often saw a
> > cage with one or a few kittens (not adult cats) delivered to the
> > restaurants, the cage would just stay out on the footpath until needed. It
> > was not very nice for the young cats to be in a little cage with all the
> > people walking by, not to mention the vast numbers of cars, bikes, etc. At
> > first I wondered why restaurants, rather than pet shops would receive young
> > cats. In general the demand for cats was not huge, compared to other meat
> > sources. There may be something in it that they like the meat to be freshly
> > killed. Then again I did not see or was not told of these mentioned on the
> > menus (It doesn't help that I can't read Mandarin!) Can you imagine a live
> > export trade of mature feral cats from Australia to Asia? I doubt it.......
> > Quite apart from the PR outrage it would raise from within Australia. Why
> > would they be interested in the huge logistic problems and costs of
> > obtaining cat meat from remote parts of Australia? They have more than
> > enough feral cats within their own cities and no doubt rural areas. Sure it
> > is a nice idea what has been put forward from our point of view but I
> > suggest it is fanciful. For the scheme to be big enough to work to fulfil
> > our wishes, it would need to appeal to huge numbers of people. The huge
> > numbers of people is the class of the population that are very poor. They
> > sure are not interested in doing this for the cause of rare species
> > conservation in Australia. They would not be remotely interested in, nor
> > aware of these issues. The Chinese (especially the non wealthy ones) are
> > interested in conservation of the Giant Panda and a few other species but
> > that is about all. Their own lives are hard enough. It appeared to me that
> > generally Chinese people have little concept of any difference between wild
> > fauna and farmed food animals (although I'll admit I am generalising and my
> > sample size of knowledge is small). And yes it is also my experience that
> [...]

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>