birding-aus

RFI again - Fairy Terns Great Ocean Rd

To: Colin R <>, birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: RFI again - Fairy Terns Great Ocean Rd
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 03:46:29 +0000
Hi again Colin,

Not sure if you got any feedback, so here's some info re Fairy Tern in sunny
Vic. From my experience, there are a number places you can generally see Fairy
Tern.

West of Melbourne, you can usually see them at the Birdhide at the Western
Treatment Plant. If you don't have access to a key, you'll need to ask someone
to take you in.

Another good spot to look is along the beach at Edwards Point Wildlife Reserve.
I once found them breeding at the point itself - the first time they'd breed in
the Port Philip Bay for nearly 20 years. The beach is suffering from coastal
erosions, so mid and low tide would be the best time to see them. See
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/swan-bay-edwards-point-w.r

East of Melbourne, a good place to look is Lake Tyers estuary (near Lakes
Entrance), especially from the boat ramp at end of Lakeside Drive, see
-37.852043, 148.087297. Here you can look across the inlet to 'Tern Island',
where there's a breeding colony of both Fairy and Tern. They arrive in October/
November and leave February/March. There's a Breeding Monitoring Program run by
DSE. From the island the terns fly out the entrance of Lake Tyers, so you can
also seem them feeding just outside the surf break at Lake Tyers beach. They
are also fairly regular along the beach at Cape Conran.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Tim