birding-aus

Fw: Spoon-billed Sandpipers

To: <>
Subject: Fw: Spoon-billed Sandpipers
From: <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 09:35:12 +1030

From: Peter Morris
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 3:05 AM
Subject: Spoon-billed Sandpipers

Hi David,

Thanks for your enquiry and your continued interest in these wonderful little
birds.

We have more than 20 spoon-billed sandpipers in a bio-secure facility at WWT
Slimbridge Wetland Centre. Last summer would have been the first year that we
might have expected first attempts at breeding. There was pair bonding
behaviour but that didn’t progress to actual breeding. It was a bit early for
them anyway, we’re more hopeful for this coming summer. We published this story
in early 2014 as the birds were moved into the potential breeding facility.

This small flock is a sort of insurance policy, just in case the species goes
extinct in the wild. The other part of our breeding operation happens in
northern Russia where we take eggs from the first clutch and hand-rear them
through the first few weeks when they are vulnerable to predators and bad
weather – a technique called headstarting. The fledglings then travel south for
two years and, if they survive, they then return to breed. We had our first
confirmation last summer that a headstarted bird had returned and successfully
hatched a chick – as per this news story.

The other part of the project involves working with governments and partners to
try and protect at least some of the stopover sites along the migration route,
which are disappearing fast. This is the key to the species’ long term survival
and, while the outlook is generally depressing, there have been successes as
per this story.

You can keep up to date with the ‘spoonies’ via a dedicated website which
ourselves and the other partners involved all contribute towards.

Regards, Pete

Peter Morris
Head of PR and Campaigns

Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT)