birding-aus

Ruff and Red-rumped Swallows

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Ruff and Red-rumped Swallows
From: "Phil & Sue Gregory" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 19:42:30 +1000
Great looks a Ruff at Lake Tinaroo, Yungaburra, FNQ this afternoon, at the end
of Harper Road on the mudbank opposite and to the right, actually an aus-tick
for me though I saw one in PNG years ago. Then 10 Red-rumped Swallows on power
lines by the motel at Tinaburra boat ramp, will post photos to Birdforum and
ABID when we get the power back here (after a huge fig fell down this morning
and took out the lines) Be good to try and get which subspecies these Red-rumps
belong to, they are quite well-streaked dark on the chest, unstreaked on the
belly,  have quite pale but not whitish underwing coverts, and lack a red
collar; call the usual "sweik" note of many Red-rumped taxa.
Thanks to Alan Gillanaders for the news and coming with us this afternoon, but
no sign of the putative LRP, just lots of Black-fronted Dots and a couple of
Red-kneed.
Phil Gregory

Website 1: Http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au