birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 5 Jan 2015 06:46:52 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 4 Jan 2015.

   Fri 2 Jan Banded Honeyeater Wondecla State Forest including Springvale
   Rd
   Several Banded Honeyeater were feeding on blossom being protected by a
   Noisy Friarbird. The honeyeaters called loudly and were repeatedly
   chased off by the friarbird. At least 3 were seen and others heard.
   This species is very rarely recorded on the Tableland being more usual
   in inland areas and Cape York Peninsula. The blossom included a red
   flowering mistletoe being used by many honeyeater species at the moment
   and some eucalypt blossom also. ID photo provided with the mistletoe
   flowers.
   Peter Valentine
   Sat 27 Dec White-browned Crake (2) Cattana wetlands (Cairns)
   Observed a pair of White-browed Crakes foraging on the lily pads and
   along the edges of Jabiru Pond (the large pond). Seen near the island
   in the north-west of the pond.
   Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow
   Sat 20 Dec Southern Boobook (lurida ssp.), Masked Owl Mt. Lewis
   Rd--Lower part
   5.9 K up Mt Lewis from the main road, first located and saw a Southern
   Boobook of the lurida subspecies. Had excellent views (and only 1
   photo). Also heard incessant screeching of Masked Owl, at least 2
   birds. Call matched that of playback and was a harsh cockatoo-like
   screeching. Birds would not come close though. The only other time I
   have heard Masked Owl constantly screech was at The Conondale Ranges
   with Chris Corben years ago and we saw dependent young of Masked Owl
   then. I am very confident that these were Masked Owl and not Lesser
   Sooty Owl or Barn Owl, ( Lesser Sooty Owl have a higher screech). It is
   thick forest next to the road where I encountered both species here.
   Kevin Bartram
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>