birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 8 Dec 2014 06:51:16 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 7 Dec 2014.

   Sun 7 Dec Eastern Koel Hawkesburn/Toorak
   Just starting up for the evening at about 08:45pm
   Euan Moore
   Banded Lapwing Large Paddock in Williams Landing 3017
   At 17:28 I observed twelve Banded Lapwings on the south side of a large
   recently slashed paddock, north-east of Palmers Road and Williams
   Landing Boulevard. I have had several intermittent sightings of this
   species at this location.
   Peter Gibbons
   Nankeen Night-Heron Drain near Elgar reserve Mont Albert North
   I haven't seen one here before. It was in the afternoon and earlier
   this week I saw a White-faced heron on the cricket pitch staring at
   Galahs on the football field.
   Sabine Glissmann-Gough
   Black Falcon Carisbrook
   I witnessed an amazing sight this morning in a paddock behind my house
   on the edge of town. A pair of Black Falcons were hunting three Galahs.
   They took turns chasing the juvenile Galah while the parents circled
   overhead calling frantically. Eventually the young Galah fell exhausted
   into trees nearby and the falcons followed it in.
   Gary Oliver
   Eastern Koel Monterey Boulevard Reserve
   Woke to the call of a Koel this morning ,at 7am , Thankfully not any
   earlier. Bird heard but not seen , but call coming from large gums on
   eastern side of Reserve. A koel was heard in this area last year ,
   passing through hopefully.
   Colin Mulvogue
   Sat 6 Dec Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Started at the southern end and worked our way around the western
   shore, located the group of waders and Matt managed to spot the
   Dowitcher amongst the group at 09:15.
   Owen Lishmund, Matt McCrae
   Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Still there. On North shore both 5th & 6th Dec during the morning -
   easily seen when separated but more difficult when with "clumping"
   Sharpies. Seems to sleep a lot.
   Mal & Janet Kidson
   Fri 5 Dec Eastern Koel Reservoir Area next to Mt Waverley Reserve
   Heard but not seen at approximately 7AM. Clearly audible from
   surrounding streets.
   Robyn and Nick Goode
   Cicadabird Bunyip State Park--Mortimer Picnic Ground
   Single male heard making "tuck-tuck" then cicada call, seen flying
   around treetops.
   Tom Tarrant
   Red-chested Button-quail, Little Button-quail Myall
   2 Red-chested Button-quail and 1 Little Button-quail sighted in grassy
   woodlands on private property this morning.
   Eric Finder, Malcolm Eyles and group
   Thu 4 Dec Eastern Koel Backyard between Stewart St/Una St and Blue
   Hills Ave, Mount Waverley Melbourne
   Marina Harper
   Little Button-quail Wilby
   Tiny quail with whitish edges to the tail flushed from the edge of
   wheat paddock behind the garden.
   Michael Ramsey
   Rufous Songlark Bunyip River Road, Bayles
   Noticed bird on powerlines as heading north along Bunyip River Road
   from Bayles. It flew off towards the west into a large gum. Heard
   calling and then was joined by another bird. I took some pictures from
   about 500m away , then took some videos, more for calls than visual. I
   have seen this species in Pakenham and Officer over the last few years.
   Colin Mulvogue
   Striated Heron Croajingolong National Park--Sandy Point
   Striated Heron spotted on mud bank fishing in the morning from fishing
   boat. It flew when we approach. This is our first sighting since 2011
   in Mallacoota
   Geoff Lane, John Harrison, Mark Theodopolous, Mark Broughton
   Black Falcon Exford Reserve
   Stopped for morning tea at the small park on Exford Rd by the Werribee
   River. Black Falcon flew around several times, being harassed by what
   looked like a Kestrel and a Hobby, whilst a Brown Falcon looked on!
   Dave Torr, Christine Shelley, Iian Denham, Mark Buckby
   Spotted Quailthrush Brisbane Ranges National Park
   Single bird seen, second bird heard near old slate quarry
   Dave Torr, Christine Shelley, Iian Denham, Mark Buckby
   White-throated Gerygone Lerdederg River at Pumphouse Track, west of
   Blackwood
   Two calling. Excellent views of one bird called in. Also Rose Robin,
   Bassian Thrush, Brush Bronzewing, Olive-backed Oriole, etc.
   Lawrie Conole
   White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Blue-billed Duck Moorabool Reservoir Park
   A juvenile (first year) sea-eagle observed to capture a Long-billed
   Corella from a tree, then to be dive bombed in return by a screaming
   Peregrine Falcon! Slightly unusual inland hill site for sea-eagle.
   Large rafts of water birds and me without a scope. The estimate of 150
   Blue-bills is conservative. Also Great Crested Grebes, Shovelers, etc.
   Lawrie Conole
   Common Koel Morrah St Hastings
   A first for us here! A Common Koel heard calling at 6am in light rainy
   conditions! Bird chased off by wattlebirds.
   S and S King
   Wed 3 Dec Indian Peafowl Redbill Road, French Island
   3 males seen on road during a bus trip to NW French Island. All birds
   within 200m of each other. An emerging issue for the island.
   Martin O'Brien
   Grass Owl (possible) Myall
   Suspected Grass Owl seen next to road after dark. Originally noticed on
   November 29, a dark barn owl with claws extending after tail. This is
   the 2nd observation this week. No button-quail seen today on farm
   property.
   Eric Finder, Malcolm Eyles and group
   Rufous Bristlebird Barwon Heads Golf Course
   I was waiting to tee off on the 14th hole when I heard the unmistakable
   calls of a a Rufous Bristlebird. This is the first time I have heard
   this bird in 7 years of playing golf here!
   Hedley Earl
   Cape Barren Geese Morrah St Hastings
   Lucky sighting...just walked out our back door to see 7 Cape Barren
   Geese fly over the top of our house.
   S and S King
   Freckled Duck Banyule Flats Reserve, Heidelberg
   Single bird feeding north end of Swamp with Black Ducks - then swam to
   fallen branches by dead tree, climbed out and preened - sharing perch
   with a Coot and a Long-necked Turtle. One Straw-necked Ibis also
   perched on timber
   Anthea Fleming
   Pacific Koel Mt Eliza Regional Park
   Heard calling from 5:17 this morning at the back of Claremont St
   Stuart Cooney
   Tue 2 Dec Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   The Long-billed Dowitcher was seen by at least 5 people on 2 Dec (also
   seen 1 Dec). South end, at inlet 7:45 am then on eastern side.
   Angus Hartshorn
   Great Knot, Greater/Lesser Sandplover, Whimbrel, Bar-tailed Godwit
   Nooramunga Marine and Coastal Park
   Went out to Clonmel Island in hope of finding G/L Sandplovers but
   without luck. 10,000+ Red-necked Stints all over the island as well as
   great numbers of Red-capped Plovers, a few Sanderling and some Eastern
   Curlew. Hardly any other species of waders. Managed to find and then
   spook 7 Sandplover sp. that could not be relocated and unfortunately
   remaining unticked! 3 Great Knots found along the shore line of Sunday
   Island (private island) along with 20 odd Whimbrel, 200+ Bar-tailed
   Godwits and more flocks of Red-necked Stint. 8 Red Knots found along
   mudflats in Port Albert when returning to wharf.
   James Mustafa
   Scarlet Honeyeater Cardinia Reservoir, Spillway carpark
   Two birds seen clearly in the trees across the road from the carpark.
   Ian Wilson, Chris Purnell
   Great Crested Grebe Cardinia Reservoir, Spillway carpark
   Approximately 140 birds observed through the spotting scope this
   afternoon about 3.45 pm.
   Arthur Carew, Chris Purnell, Ian Wilson, Jill Wilson
   Mon 1 Dec Eastern Koel Inverloch
   Male calling day and night over recent few days. Sighted male being
   chased by wattle birds as well as female. Very fast flight.
   Tim Williams
   Red-necked Avocet, Common Greenshank Cairn Curran Reservoir
   3 Red-necked Avocets on southern shore near Captain's Gull Creek. A
   lone Greenshank in the same area - my first record for the site. Also a
   few Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Caspian and Whiskered Terns.
   Geoff Park
   Sun 30 Nov Red-chested Buttonquail Myall (private property) south-west
   of Sea Lake
   Four birds found in dense grass when walking around friends property.
   Eric Finder and group
   Brush Cuckoo Warrandyte State Park--Jumping Creek Reserve
   Heard calling from the carpark when arrived, bird was on the opposite
   bank of the river, heard for about 3 minutes, bird was moving slowly
   upstream and eventually couldn't hear it anymore as it moved out of the
   area.
   Jackson Airey
   Diamond Firetail Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary
   A pair of Diamond Firetails were observed collecting and carrying
   nesting materials. Later verified by Ranger David Coutts and James
   O'Connor and family. David said it is only the second time in 18 years
   it has been observed nesting here.
   Jenny and Peter Sedgwick
   White-throated Gerygone You Yangs R/P. (West side of Circle Rd)
   Heard an unfamiliar call in this area. After spending 15 or so minutes
   searching, I finally located the source. A juvenile W/T Gerygone was
   begging and being fed by an adult bird. " Note" It was the begging call
   that was so foreign!
   Denis Sleep
   Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   The LBD was located at around 8am on the west side of the lake just
   north of the pump station near the large communication tower. It was
   amongst sharpies. This was to the joy of many punters who were able to
   get some great photos. It could not be located on Saturday despite the
   efforts of many birders.
   Bernie OKeefe
   Sat 29 Nov Eastern Koel Caulfield Sth
   Eastern Koel heard calling from large trees opposite Glen Eira College
   at 8.30am .
   Greg Thompson
   Thu 27 Nov Cockatiel, Plumed Whistling-Duck Lismore
   Six cockatiel in suger gum plantation north of Lismore and twenty eight
   plumbed whistle ducks on and around a dam in the same vicinity.
   hughy campbel per bob hughes
   Sun 16 Nov Major Mitchell Cockatoo Mount Arapiles
   3 Major Mitchell Cockatoos seen at 36.783377, 141.823780 south of Mt.
   Arapiles.
   Mary French via Tim Mintern
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list