birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 29 Dec 2014 08:45:10 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 28 Dec 2014.

   Sun 28 Dec Baillon's Crake Lake Sambell, Beechworth
   One sunning itself on marshy shore near caravan park, same place where
   the Spotted Crake performed well last month. The Baillon's was also
   here on 25 Dec. Other waterbirds include White-necked Heron,
   Yellow-billed Spoonbill, etc. Crakes are scarce at this lake where
   water levels have usually been higher than at present.
   Richard Loyn & Debbie Tully
   Sat 27 Dec Painted Honeyeater Buckland Gap near Beechworth
   One in scattered trees in farmland, heard calling every day from 25
   Dec.
   Richard Loyn & Debbie Tully
   Southern Boobook Woodlands Historic Park
   Perched in tree just outside back-paddock fence on the East-West
   firebreak. Just to the East of the sugar gum forest. First time I have
   observed a Boobook at Woodlands
   Richard Arnold
   Magpie Goose Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   11 seen in T-section, along with lots of Banded Stilts still. Some
   White-winged terns amongst the Whiskered. At least 10 Cape Barren geese
   around the plant
   Dave Torr with Edith from California
   Fri 26 Dec Australian Koel Traralgon
   A male was heard from Kimberley Drive at 8:10am, calling intermittently
   for about 10 minutes. Listened for it that evening at dusk, and the
   following morning from 7:45 - 8:15am, but it was not heard again.
   Tamara Leitch
   Long billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Dowitcher still present on northern shoreline, and appears to be losing
   color. Despite a day-long search by 5 groups of birders, the Phalarope
   or Plover could not be located in the couple of hundred shorebirds
   still present on the lake. Banded Stilts have departed.
   John Daniels
   Thu 25 Dec Eastern Koel, Gang-gang Cockatoo Hawthorn/Burnley/Toorak
   Arrived at my parents' house in Hawthorn early this morning and decided
   to go for a run to make room for the calories that will be consumed
   later today. Their resident Koel was calling from his usual spot on the
   corner of Manningtree Road and Through Street. As I ran city-bound
   along the Yarra (beginning at Leonda) I heard another calling from just
   south of MacRob Bridge, and then another only a matter of minutes
   another calling from Como Park. On the way back I stopped running and
   walked the short-cut past Burnley Golf Course, where I heard another
   one calling to the north of Wallan Road. Although this is probably not
   four separate birds, it's at least two, and probably three. As reported
   several weeks ago, there are still several Gang-gangs at Burnley, with
   4-5 birds immediately north of where the Glen Waverley and
   Alamein/Belgrave lines diverge. I was too far away to determine sex or
   age, but calls were unmistakable. Seems as though not all head back to
   the hills after Winter.
   John Gray
   Wed 24 Dec Red-necked Phalarope, Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Very few migratory waders present early this morning. Whispered Terns
   and Banded Stilts also low numbers. Red-necked Phalarope eventually
   located at southern end of lake around 1130am (where previously
   reported) an earlier sighting of bird in flight with flock of
   Sharp-tailed Sandpipers at nearby Lake William was also considered
   likely candidate. The Long-billed Dowitcher still present -seen resting
   on Northern shore later in day.
   Scott Baker, Tim Bawden
   Eastern Koel (2) Little Lorikeets(3) Frankston North / Monterey Park /
   Mallee Street
   Three Little Lorikeets have been seen and heard over the last month in
   the area with Musk Lorikeets, whose numbers have increased over the
   last two months. Koel has been seen everyday since the 2nd Dec , has 3
   favourite trees , one being in our backyard . As of this morning we now
   have two Koels calling , one from the park and one in Mallee St.
   calling starts around 3am , but on a positive note , saving power usage
   ,alarm has been disconnected and I'm starting work earlier.
   Colin Mulvogue
   Tue 23 Dec Eastern Koel Epping
   Heard calling a few hundred metres from Epping train station about 9am.
   Ian Sutherland
   Freckled Duck Mcleods Morass
   Located behind cattle sales yards in Bairnsdale. Bridge is closed but
   you can still crossover by walking. Take the left hand track until you
   come to bird hide. 20 + Frecked Ducks viewed.
   Paul Nugent
   Channel-billed Cuckoo McAlpin Reserve
   Heard calling from a stand of trees just south of the dam, then seen
   flying north.
   Tamara Leitch
   Koel Canterbury Road, Blackburn
   Heard calling at 6.30pm
   Simon Starr
   Red-necked Pharalope Lake Tutchewop
   All credit must go to Bob Hughes who located the bird amid hundreds of
   waders in the scope, then confirmed by Michael Sturmfels, who are both
   familiar with the species. My job was to photograph it so as to
   determine its correct ID. It was found this afternoon on the south
   eastern section of the lake, about 500 metres from where the pelicans
   roost. If you plan to search for it, be aware that it preferred to swim
   rather than wade, so it is most likely to be behind the waders feeding
   on the shoreline. The bird allowed me to approach very closely and even
   then did not flush!
   Bob Hughes, Bernie OKeefe, Michael Sturmfels and Russell Hughes
   Blue-faced Honeyeater Kilmore
   Blue-faced Honeyeater seen feeding one young in the main street of
   Kilmore. I first noticed the adult bird catching insects/spiders around
   the street lights and then feeding these to the young bird.
   Chris Cobern
   Mon 22 Dec Eastern Koel Warranwood
   Heard a quiet call repeated about 5 times while standing in the front
   yard at about 9:30pm. Only called once and quite different from the
   daytime loud call. No sign of it in the morning. First record for me
   here in 10 years.
   Jackson Airey
   Brush Bronzewing, Southern Emu-wren Wonthaggi Heathland and Coastal
   Reserve
   Half a dozen Brush Bronzewings and two groups of Emu-wrens seen/heard
   during the day.
   Marc Freestone, Tom Schmidt
   Oriental Plover, Long-billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Fresh juvenile Oriental Plover with the Dowitcher, 150 m past the bird
   boxes on southern shore at 2 pm.
   Dion Hobcroft and David James
   Sun 21 Dec Grey Plover Cheetham Saltworks, Point Henry
   Banded Stilts (230), Great Crested Grebes (130) and 1 Grey Plover.
   Bob & Russell Hughes
   Eastern Koel Rhyll
   Heard the distinctive call of an Eastern Koel twice at 6.30am and
   6.40am on Sunday 21/12/14 at Rhyll, Phillip Island. This is the first
   time that we have heard one call on the Island. Unfortunately had no
   luck sighting it.
   Sally & Derek Whitehead
   Nankeen Night Heron Stony Point
   13 adult Night Herons on the mudflats south of the boat ramp. Low tide,
   7pm. Stony Point is the only place I have seen Night Herons feeding on
   mudflats, since 2012.
   Chris Chandler
   Sat 20 Dec Common Koel Orange Grove, Bayswater
   Heard calling from tall tree in suburban backyard in mid morning.
   Amber Wallace
   Greenshanks and Cape Barren Geese Coast Road, French Island
   Friends of French Island NP (FOFI) waterbird survey. 13 Greenshanks on
   Tony Rowe's wetland, Coast Road. Good numbers of other waterbirds at
   Coast Road wetlands, including ca120 Cape Barren Geese, over 50 Royal
   Spoonbills, 5 Yellow-billed Spoonbills (uncommon on French Island), 300
   teal, etc. Count data submitted to Biodiversity Atlas.
   Chris Chandler
   Freckled Duck Heifer Swamp (northern end)
   Waterbird survey with Friends of French Island NP (FOFI). Very few
   ducks seen at Heifer Swamp but we were amazed to see 9 Freckled Ducks
   fly out from among reeds on the north-western shore. Two of this
   species seen at Linley's Swamp on 20 September were the first recorded
   from French Island since 1940s!
   Chris Chandler
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list