birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 17 Nov 2014 06:21:58 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 16 Nov 2014.

   Sun 16 Nov White-chinned Petrel, Gould's Petrel Port Stephens pelagic
   The highlight today of the Port Stephens pelagic was a White-chinned
   Petrel; just the second ever recorded on pelagics outside of Hunter
   Region ports (the first being 16/08/2003 out of Swansea). The bird was
   initially called as a Black Petrel and there were a few people on board
   that would have preferred that to a White-chinned. It remained faithful
   to the boat for about half an hour. Good views were had of a single
   Gould's Petrel and there were good numbers (~20) of Great-winged
   Petrels. A Long-tailed Jaeger visited the boat on several occasions at
   quite spaced intervals. We saw several Shy-type Albatrosses (I think 7
   was the final count), with one bird being identified as a juvenile
   White-capped. Despite having ~35 Flesh-footed Shearwaters in October,
   we did not see a single bird today.
   Mick Roderick and all aboard the M.V.Argonaut
   Black Petrel, Long-tailed Jaeger Offshore--Sydney Pelagic
   Highlights of a rough day out on the ocean with delegates from the
   World Parks Congress were a Black Petrel, Long-tailed Jaeger,
   White-faced Storm Petrel and high numbers of Great-winged Petrel (50
   individuals - all gouldi). A total species count of 20 was good for
   November.
   Roger McGovern and all on the MV Explorer
   Magpie Goose Mehi River, Moree
   The total number of Magpie Geese is still increasing, 90 birds were
   observed today, the biggest number yet.
   Curtis Hayne
   Red-backed Kingfisher, White-backed Swallow Eulah Creek
   At long last I have been able to establish that the pair of Red-backed
   Kingfishers at the Bullawa Creek bridge (Eulah Creek Road) are indeed
   nesting (see photo; female entering tunnel). At this stage they must be
   incubating. White-backed Swallows are also still around, but no sign of
   breeding activity.
   Michael Dahlem
   Latham's Snipe Mason Park, Homebush
   Single Latham's Snipe seen flying over the water in wet weather about
   8.30am and approx. 25 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers observed feeding. About
   40 Red-necked Avocets sighted from the bird hide at Olympic Park
   Wetlands.
   Richard Gardner
   Sat 15 Nov Rufous Scrub-bird, Olive Whistler Barrington Tops National
   Park
   Stalked a Rufous Scrub-bird calling just off the Gloucester falls
   track. I got so close, then it stopped calling. I could hear it moving
   in the under growth and then it crossed the path in front of me. where
   it resumed it's calling. Olive whistler came to check me out throughout
   all this.
   Andrew O'Brien
   White-throated Needletail Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   Seen most mornings this week arriving from 6:30 and staying over the
   area for a few hours feeding, moving daily from ridge to ridge. Mon.
   10/11 40 11/11 0 12/11 100 13/11 80 14/11 30 15/11 20
   paul griffin
   *** POSSIBLE CITRINE WAGTAIL *** Cudgegong River, Rylstone (near the
   bridge)
   An observer preferring not to be named believes to have sighted a
   Citrine Wagtail at the above site last Saturday. This is only 60km from
   Mudgee, and could potentially be the same individual from August. If
   anyone is in the area, this could be worth checking out. [Moderators
   Note: Chris Gladwin searched today for 1.5 hours in the mid-afternoon,
   not finding the bird. JB]
   N/A
   Fri 14 Nov Eastern Koel Orange
   Possibly two birds calling from early morning. First sighting for me
   this season.
   Neville Schrader
   Thu 13 Nov Little Bronze-Cuckoo Iluka Road, Woombah
   Trill call heard.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Australian Hobby White Bridge, Tucabia to Wooli Road
   Adult Hobby perched on dead branch at edge of Ironbark containing a
   stick nest - almost certainly the Hobby nest but bird not seen to go to
   nest. It was calling repeatedly.
   Greg Clancy, Russell Jago, Matt Templeton, Bronte Larkin
   White-throated Needltail, Brown Thornbill, Shining Bronze-Cuckoo,
   Australian Hobby Bushland off Elizabeth Street, Iluka
   11+ Needletails low over canopy. Juvenile Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
   begging, 2 Brown Thornbills in attendance but not seen to feed Cuckoo.
   One Hobby over canopy and houses.
   Greg Clancy, Russell Jago, Matt Templeton, Bronte Larkin, Lindsey
   Nietmann
   Pacific Baza Wahroonga
   Flying over Cnr of Junction Rd and Grosvenor St. Adult - distinctive
   size, wings and barred chest. Always great to see - seemingly a more
   frequent Sydney sighting. Still worth reporting? [Moderator's Note:
   This species is certainly becoming more common in Sydney - reports are
   good to document the range changes, but remember to submit to eBird!
   JB]
   David Vickers
   Olive Whistler, Paradise Riflebird, White-eared Monarch, Pacific Baza
   Mt Nardi (Nightcap National Park)
   Highlights from nightcap national park this morning was an Olive
   Whistler and 6 Paradise Riflebirds including 1 adult male and 1
   displaying immature male. Also 3 Pacific Bazas and a White-eared
   Monarch.
   michael ronan
   Wed 12 Nov Superb Parrot Cowra Area
   Hundreds of Superb Parrots seen between Darlington Point and Bathurst
   over our long drive east on Wednesday. Of particular note was the large
   numbers east of Cowra (numerous flocks, one in excess of 80 birds near
   Lyndhurst, 70kms from Bathurst). This is unusual in that this species
   is usually only seen in small numbers this far east.
   Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Ashwin Rudder, Nathan Ruser
   Australasian Bittern Fivebough Wetlands
   No less than 5 (possible more) Australasian Bitterns flushed whilst
   walking around Fivebough at midday. Also many Baillon's Crakes,
   Red-kneed Dotterels, a few Marsh Sandpipers, and possibly 2 Little
   Bitterns heard unfortuntely briefly.
   Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Ashwin Rudder, Nathan Ruser
   Eurasian Tree Sparrow Cowra (Corner of Logan Street and Victor Street)
   As reported earlier this year, we found at least 2 Eurasian Tree
   Sparrows associating with House Sparrows at this intersection.
   Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Ashwin Rudder, Nathan Ruser
   Tue 11 Nov Eastern Grass Owl School Lane, Braunstone
   An owl flew across in front of our car at c.21:00 hrs and landed in a
   eucalypt. I presumed from the habitat that it would have been a Masked
   Owl as it was too large and dark for a Barn Owl. As I didn't have a
   portable light I turned the car to shine the headlights in its
   direction and it took off and flew between the trees. To our surprise
   it was dark brown on the upperparts and had long dangling legs that
   protruded way past the tail - it was an Eastern Grass Owl. There is
   suitable habitat in the general vicinity (grassland, wetlands etc.) but
   this is my first record for the Orara Valley. Val noted the brown
   upperparts and long dangling legs to support my ID.
   Greg & Val Clancy
   Regent Parrot Euston Regional Park
   A few Regent Parrots located at the site previously reported by David
   James in the late afternoon.
   Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Ashwin Rudder, Nathan Ruser
   Ostrich Lashbrook Rd in paddock at -35.620553,144.346123
   Two females found very easily en. route to Long-billed Dowitcher at
   Lake Tutchewop along the Moama-Barham Rd.
   Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Ashwin Rudder, Nathan Ruser
   White-throated Needletails Lower Pappinbarra
   23 seen high overhead this afternoon.
   Ian Kerr
   Australian Little Bittern and Freckled Ducks Eastlakes golf course
   Male seen very briefly. Also 4 Freckled Ducks still present. Blurred
   record shot from back of camera attached.
   David Mitford
   Australian Brush-turkey Meadowbank (TAFE grounds)
   Three Australian Brush-turkey appeared on the TAFE grounds at
   Meadowbank. They are very busy building their nest and can be see
   walking among students eating their lunches (near Meadowbank railway
   station).
   Ted Wnorowski
   Freckled duck Eastlakes golf course
   2 freckled ducks on lake between golf courses .No sign of red-necked
   avocet
   Nathan falla
   Mon 10 Nov Freckled Ducks and Whiskered Tern Eastlakes golf course
   4 Freckled Ducks present, 1 near the maintenance shed and three near
   track where the two courses meet. Single Whiskered Tern on main body of
   water.
   David Mitford
   White-throated Needletails Cottan-Bimbang National Park
   11 WTNT seen above Knodingbul Road as well as 6 Rufous Scrubbirds heard
   (one seen), and one Powerful Owl carrying the rear end of a Greater
   Glider.
   Ian Kerr
   Superb Parrot Molong, Back Saleyard Rd
   20 Superb Parrots in Cootamundra wattles in my yard. Not seen this many
   before. Numbers seem to be increasing.
   Les Main
   Sun 9 Nov Glossy Black-cockatoo Burralow Creek camp area, Bilpin
   7 birds over the weekend in casuarina along the creek bank
   Chris Chafer
   Pallid Cuckoo Burramoko Ridge, north of Blackheath
   Pallid Cuckoo calling in timber [dry schlerophyll] on a high ridge,
   which I thought unusual.
   Ted Nixon
   Sat 8 Nov Red-necked Avocet Eastlake Golf Course
   7 Avocets feeding with Black-winged Stilts; also a Latham's Snipe.
   [Moderator's Note: This appears to be the first record for Eastlakes.
   JB]
   Ted Nixon
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list