birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 3 Nov 2014 08:01:58 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 2 Nov 2014.

   Sun 2 Nov Freckled Duck, Latham's Snipe Pitt Town Lagoon
   Had a good 2 hours this morning at Pitt Town Lagoon with 71 species
   recorded including 11 Freckled and 56 Pink-eared Ducks, a single
   Australasian Shoveler, 22 Hardhead, 18 Red-kneed and 2 juvenile
   Black-fronted Dotterels, 2 Latham's Snipe, 8 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, 2
   Whiskered Terns and heard both a Spotless Crake and a Horsfield's
   Bronze-cuckoo.
   Edwin Vella
   Sat 1 Nov Barred Cuckoo-Shrike, Little Shrike-Thrush Pacific Bay
   Resort, Coffs Harbour
   One adult and one immature Barred Cuckoo-Shrike in the resort car park.
   Little Shrike-Thrush on coastal walk.
   Tim Morris
   Pacific Baza Darvall Park, West Ryde
   Thanks to Michael Ronan for spotting this Pacific Baza pair on Friday.
   They are still present in the reserve, and were observed for about an
   hour.
   Anna Schutz & James Panetta
   White-winged Triller, Rufous Whistler & Lewin's Rail Eastlakes golf
   course
   In the section south of Wentworth Avenue, a male White-winged Triller
   was signing in the pine trees near to Begonia Street. Two Lewin's Rails
   holding territories in this section. I would suspect at least another
   three territories elsewhere at Eastlakes. Rufous Whistler also singing
   here. Male Scarlet Honeyeater seen and heard midweek near Fairy Martin
   colony.
   David Mitford
   Red-necked Avocet & White-throated Nightjar Tuggerah Wastewater
   Treatment Plant
   At around 19:00 hours about 40 Red-necked Avocets observed feeding in
   the far pond at the end of Cantree Road. Also seen was a group of 12
   Sharp-tailed Sandpipers with one smaller wader that could not be
   identified due to fading light (possibly a Red-necked Stint or a
   species of similar size). As I was walking back to the car a
   White-throated Nightjar flew past quite low (seen as a silhouette).
   Dean Purcell
   Freckled Duck, Australasian Shoveler, Red-necked Avocet Pitt Town
   Lagoon, Windsor
   5 Freckled Duck, 2 Red-necked Avocet, 2 Whiskered Tern, 3 Australasian
   Shoveler, 1 Swamp Harrier - all from bird hide.
   Chris Gladwin
   Latham's Snipe, Red-kneed Dotterel, Intermediate Egret Marsden Park
   At Marsden Park this morning beside South Street was an Intermediate
   Egret, a Latham's Snipe, 2 Red-kneed Dotterel, 6 Black-winged Stilts
   and an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle.
   Edwin Vella
   Red-necked Avocet, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Pallid Cuckoo Riverstone
   At Riverstone this morning, I saw 3 Red-necked Avocets (2 adults and a
   an immature bird) being a new bird for the Blacktown LGA (bird no. 235
   on my Blacktown LGA list). On the same pond were 3 Sharp-tailed
   Sandpiper and 3 Black-fronted Dotterel. Other birds present around
   Riverstone included a Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Eastern Great Egret, 2
   Pallid Cuckoos, 3 White-winged Trillers, 7 Zebra Finches and the pair
   of Brown Falcons were seen near but not on their nest.
   Edwin Vella
   Little Tern and Common Tern Sydney Airport
   2 pairs of Little Terns and up to 30 Common Terns observed feeding east
   of the third runway.
   Nigel Coghlan
   White-throated Needletail, Powerful Owl, Rufous Fantail, Black-faced
   Monarch Warriewood Wetlands and Irrawong Reserve
   150+ White-throated Needletails seen this morning flying over the
   wetlands at about 8am. A Powerful Owl was seen above the main waterfall
   in Irrawong Reserve on Thursday and today whilst at the little
   waterfall a single Rufous Fantail was seen (my 1st one this season with
   little report of others) along with a single Black-faced Monarch but
   unfortunately my birding was cut short by a big hailstorm.
   Jayden Walsh
   Australian Pied Oystercatcher Batemans Bay
   Today At Batemans Bay Australian Pied Oystercatcher sitting on nest
   with 1 egg near boardwalk, other birds 4 Bar-tailed Godwits &
   White-bellied Sea-eagle.
   Tony & Stephanie Dawe
   Australian King-Parrot Scott Park, Sans Souci/Sandringham
   One male Australian King-Parrot. I,ve never seen one in this location
   before. 2 years ago saw a pair in Scarborough Park, Ramsgate.
   Oliver Williams
   White-throated Needletail Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   Up to 10 WTNT sighted most mornings this week flying east over this
   area, except for Tue. when there was a southerly wind (and none) and
   Fri. when there was a light northerly and about 25. Today overcast with
   emerging winged insects and flying ants attracting pair of Rufous
   Fantails and Black-faced Monarch. White-browed Scrubwren now feeding
   young in nest, in blady grass in shaded area. The insect is a type of
   cricket.
   paul griffin
   Fri 31 Oct White-bellied Sea-Eagle Lake Wollumboola
   My first visit to the lake, 5.30 pm an immature White-bellied Sea-Eagle
   flew in from the ocean carrying a Short-tailed Shearwater, see photo. I
   will submit a full bird list to ebird later.
   Paul Lynch
   California Quail McGraths Hill
   Adult male California Quail in back garden of our house in McGraths
   Hill [Moderator's note (NH): There is a small population of this
   species near Wollongong; wondering if the McGraths Hill bird is just an
   aviary escapee or if there are more free-ranging California Quail
   around?]
   Elaine Everett-Klimas
   Pacific Baza Darvall Park, West Ryde
   Pair of Pacific Bazas feeding on large green grubs in Darvall Park late
   this afternoon.
   michael ronan
   Brolga, Australian Painted Snipe Gwydir Wetlands--'Bunnor'
   Whilst on the Gwydir Wetlands Tour, at least 150 Brolgas were observed
   in wheatfields (photo shows 47 birds). A single male Australian Painted
   Snipe was also observed. The property is opened to the public until 30
   November 2014.
   Curtis Hayne
   Little Bronze-Cuckoo Coutts Crossing Village
   Little Bronze-Cuckoo heard in our backyard this morning.
   Greg Clancy
   Superb Parrot Hume Highway near Jugiong
   Lone male then flock of 12 Superb Parrots, followed a couple of minutes
   later by pair. All flying north just below crown height of planted
   Casuarina cunninghamiana.
   Rodney Falconer
   Red-backed Kingfisher, White-backed Swallow Eulah Creek
   It's all happening at the Bullawa Creek bridge (Eulah Creek Road): The
   male Red-backed Kingfisher is proving his mettle, bringing the female
   offerings, in this case a skink (photo; male to the lower right). Now
   there are about 25-30 White-backed Swallows, all active to even
   agitated (photos taken); no sign of them entering or leaving a nest
   tunnel. Lots of other species are either nesting or busy feeding
   juveniles (it may be of interest that Mallee Ringnecks are also
   breeding here, on the eastern edge of their range; photo taken, begging
   calls recorded).
   Michael Dahlem
   Regent Parrot Euston Regional Park
   At dawn there were not Regent Parrots at Lock 15 where I saw them
   yesterday afternoon, so I suspect a pre-dawn departure. Between 7:00
   and 9:30 I saw about 10 seperate pairs flying under the canopy and one
   pair perched in Black Box Woodland. Have not seen any signs of them in
   Mallee, where they supposedly forage.
   David James
   Thu 30 Oct Pacific Golden Plover, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Purry Burry
   Pt, Primbee
   5 pm, 1 Pacific Golden Plover (photo) & 30 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
   present. The Red-necked Stints were absent & the Black-winged Stilt
   numbers had dropped to only 4 from 40 two days ago.
   Paul Lynch
   Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo, Brown Goshawk Marion Light Rail Station,
   Leichhardt
   1 Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo heard for about 20 seconds calling
   consistently and loudly whilst the tram doors were open. Must have only
   been 10-15 m away from the station. Sadly I was in a rush so wasn't
   able to locate the bird. Not a bird often recorded in the Inner West. A
   female Brown Goshawk was observed at Arlington Station about 5 minutes
   later.
   Simon Gorta
   White-winged Triller, Musk Lorikeet Kangaroo Creek Road, S of Coutts
   Crossing
   White-winged Triller heard - a big year for the White-winged Triller in
   the Clarence Valley - some years totally absent others, like this,
   quite common. Two Musk Lorikeets feeding in trees.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Square-tailed Kite Kangaroo River, SE of Coutts Crossing
   One Square-tailed Kite floating over tree canopy not far from River.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Pacific Baza, Restless Flycatcher, White-winged Triller, Willie
   Wagtail, Magpie-lark Gully between Blaxlands Creek and Koukandowie
   Creek, W of Coutts Crossing
   Adult pair of Pacific Bazas in flight over Creeks, male performing
   undulating display briefly, pair of Restless Flycatchers, pair of
   Willie Wagtails and pair of Magpie-larks nesting in willows along
   gully. Two White-winged Trillers (adult male observed, second bird not
   observed) in nearby trees.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Lower Kangaroo Creek Swamp Harrier, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo,
   White-winged Triller, Brown Falcon
   Adult female Swamp Harrier flew low over wetland disturbing all of the
   wetland birds; two dark Brown Falcons perched on power poles and trees
   along road, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo flew into shrub with family of
   Superb Fairy-wrens (apparently searching for nest) and the Cuckoo was
   attacked by the Superb Fairy-wrens and the pair of White-winged
   Trillers.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Pacific Baza, White-winged Triller, Grey-crowned Babbler, Satin
   Bowerbird Coutts Crossing Village
   Adult pair of Pacific Bazas in sky over village dropped down swiftly
   and flew into or close to trees; adult female White-winged Triller and
   female plumaged Satin Bowerbird feeding in flowering Silky Oak. Five
   Grey-crowned Babblers, including 1+ juveniles, in shrubs.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Regent Parrot Euston Regional Park
   In the morning I saw 2 birds flying over Black Box Woodland. In the
   afternoon I found about 25 pairs of Regent Parrots in River Red Gums
   along the Murray River at Lock 15 and the along the aDay Use Traila.
   Could be more, I didnat have time for a thorough search. Some pairs
   were squabbling over hollows and at least one pair had a begging
   fledged chick. There are a few reports on birdline of Regents seen near
   Euston (e.g. crossing the Stuart Highway), and this appears to be the
   source. I think there is a published estimate of 25 pairs nesting in
   the Park, but I wouldnat be surprised if there were quite a few more at
   the moment.
   David James
   Black-eared Miner and Yellow-throated Miner hybrids? Kemendok National
   Park, Monak near Gol Gol
   Many of the miners in Kemendok appear to show strong remnants of
   Black-eared Miner, with all-dark faces from the bill and over the eye,
   an obvious malar stripe, and uniform (unscaled) mantle. However, they
   have slightly pale rumps and slightly pale tips to the tail feathers,
   though these are less prominent than in pure Yellow-throated Miners.
   They seem consistent too. This is just across the Murry River from
   Hattah-Kulkyne National Park, but very different habitat and condition.
   David James
   Pallid Cuckoo, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater Kemendok National Park, Monak
   near Gol Gol
   A juvenile Pallid Cuckoo being fed by Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters in
   Mallee.
   David James
   Pheasant Coucal, Turquoise Parrot Tycannah Creek, Terry Hie Hie
   A Pheasant Coucal was observed at the Tycannah Creek crossing at Terry
   Hie Hie at about 8:10 am. It was constantly hassled by a pair of Willie
   Wagtails. 2 Turquoise Parrots were observed and heard calling in the
   woodland.
   Curtis Hayne
   Wed 29 Oct Red-necked Avocet, Red-necked Stint & Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
   Dairy Swamp, Central Coast Wetlands, Tuggerah
   This evening a group of 12 Red-necked Avocets were seen feeding and
   roosting on the Dairy Swamp, this is the first record for the Reserve
   and the 192nd species reported for the Reserve since 1996. Other birds
   present were 19 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 3 Red-necked Stints (a very
   rare visitor) and 4+ Red-kneed Dotterels and a lone Latham's Snipe,
   amongst the other usual waterbirds. Red-necked Avocets are also present
   in the Tuggerah area at the Tuggerah STW, and Chittaway Point and
   Tuggerah Bay saltmarsh on Tuggerah Lake. (Public Access to the Central
   Coast Wetlands is available 10am-4 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, and
   during the week providing that the Skydivers are operating.).
   Alan Morris
   Magpie Goose, Plumed Whistling-Duck Dam NE of Coutts Crossing
   51 Magpie Geese and 150+ Plumed Whistling-Ducks at dam. The 5 Magpie
   Geese present at the dam before the Twitchathon were nowhere to be seen
   on Twitchathon Sunday but a few days later......!!!
   Greg Clancy
   Whiskered Term Pitt Town Lagoon
   10 Whiskered Tern busy over lagoon today. Have been there at least
   since Sunday. Also present Chestnut and Nutmeg Mannikins, Double-barred
   and Red-browed Finches. Also Marsh Harrier.
   Michael Rutkowski
   Common Sandpiper Long Beach
   1 Common Sandpiper in Storm Drain at Long Beach, Batemans Bay
   Tony & Stephanie Dawe
   Tue 28 Oct Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint, Black-winged Stilt
   Purry Burry Pt, Primbee
   5.30 pm 13 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 7 Red-necked Stints & 40
   Black-winged Stilts sighted in the shallows of the eastern bay. Photo
   of the Red-necked Stints & 2 of the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers attached.
   Paul Lynch
   Turquoise Parrot, Painted Button-quail Back Yamma State Forest
   At Back Yamma SF we had a number of Turquoise Parrots with young,
   Inland Thornbills, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Painted Button-quail
   etc.
   Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller, David Koffel
   Black-eared Cuckoo, Red-capped Robin Kemendok National Park, Monak near
   Gol Gol
   2 juvenile Black-eared Cuckoos, both being fed by pairs of Red-capped
   Robins in Black Box Woodland. (Moderator's Note: These are very
   interesting sightings. HANZAB states that there is only one report of a
   Black-eared Cuckoo laying its egg in a cup shaped nest, and that was
   the nest of Red-capped Robin. Were these Red-caps the original hosts,
   or are they secondary hosts? AKM).
   David James
   Painted Button-quail Waters Street, Hornsby
   Likely exhausted nomad found in garage of flats in suburban part of
   Hornsby.
   Ian Scrivener (per Paul Burcher)
   Caspian Tern Iron Cove, Leichhardt, Inner West, Sydney
   A single Caspian Tern foraging over shallows of Iron Cove in front of
   Leichhardt Pool. Occasionally reported further west around Homebush,
   but first I've seen in many years of running around Iron Cove
   Andrew Taylor
   Mon 27 Oct Blue-billed Duck, Black-tailed Native-hen Gum Swamp (Forbes)
   At Gum Swamp in Forbes we had 5 Blue-billed and c25 Freckled, c 200
   Pink-eared Ducks, c200 Hardhead, Whiskered Tern, 7 Black-tailed
   Native-hen, Cockatiel and a Nankeen Night-heron.
   Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller, David Koffel
   Painted Honeyeater Back Creek State Forest, Wyalong
   At Wyalong we had a few Painted Honeyeaters, Red-capped Robin with
   young, Speckled Warblers and nesting Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters
   Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller, David Koffel
   Grey Goshawk Scarborough Park, Monterey
   One white morph Grey Goshawk, Scarborough Park, Ramsgate/Monterey.
   Oliver Williams
   Sun 26 Oct Spotted Quail-thrush, White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike &
   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater Mogo Camp, Yengo NP Settlers Rd Bucketty.
   The Spotted Quail-thrush that have been present at Mogo Camp, since 3
   October, were still there this day. Also seen were 6+ Yellow-tufted
   Honeyeaters and a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, all rare birds on the
   Central Coast.
   Alan Morris, Mike Kuhl & Nick Carson
   Sat 25 Oct White-fronted Chat, Brown Songlark, White-winged Fairy-wren
   Chat Alley, between Lake Cargelligo and Euabalong
   Having driven along Chat Alley 9 times in the past two weeks, I am
   pleased to report that finally on 25/10/14 we actually saw a male
   White-fronted Chat, only Chat seen in 9 visits. Brown Songlarks, a
   single bird only, were seen on two visits but the morning the Chat was
   seen, there were 9 Brown Songlarks feeding in the small area of
   saltbush. When we returned after 6 pm and after the Twitchathon had
   commenced there were none to be seen!. Other birds present included
   Brown Falcon, Zebra Finch, Southern Whiteface and White-winged
   Fairy-wrens.
   Alan Morris. Mike Kuhl & Nick Carson
   Marsh Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint, Common Greenshank, White-fronted
   Chat Lake Cargelligo Waste Water Treatment Ponds
   Birds seen at the start of the Twitchathon by the Central Coast
   Champion Choughs team included 20 White-fronted Chats, 2 Australian
   Shelducks, 1 Greenshank, 6 Red-necked Stints, 2 Marsh and 200
   Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 1 Latham's Snipe, several Spotted Crakes
   including one with two tiny chicks, 5+ Baillon's Crakes, one Spotless
   Crake heard calling, 12+ Black-tailed Native-hens, 200+ Whiskered
   Terns, 4+ Freckled Ducks, many Shovellers and Pinkears, Variegated and
   White-winged Fairy-wrens etc . A White-winged Black Tern was seen by
   others.
   Alan Morris, Mike Kuhl, Nick Carson
   Wed 22 Oct Collared Sparrowhawk Surry Hills
   A Collared Sparrowhawk over the southern end of Riley Street, Surry
   Hills late morning today. Have been working in this area the past few
   days and impressed by the variety of birdlife in an inner city area -
   Spotted Dove, Crested Pigeons, Rainbow Lorikeets, Australian Koels (M &
   F), Laughing Kookaburras, Spotted Pardalote, Red Wattlebird, Noisy
   Miners, New Holland Honeyeater, Welcome Swallows, Fairy Martins,
   Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, Red-whiskered Bulbuls, Willie Wagtails,
   Olive-backed Oriole, Silvereyes. This is probably due to the adjacent
   parklands but also the mature street trees (especially Melaleucas) in
   the area.
   R Griffin
   Tue 21 Oct Noisy Pitta Bellawongarah - private property
   A Noisy Pitta was heard calling for some time in the morning from the
   rainforest. It moved several times calling at each location. A pair was
   also seen here in the rainforest in December 2009. Sorry for the late
   post.
   Carla Jackett
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list