birding-aus

Historic channels

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Historic channels
From: James Mustafa <>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:16:11 +1100
Hi all,

Most people are aware, as has been highlighting in this discussion, that
recently a few of us started a group on Facebook called "Australian
Twitchers". This group has been a phenomenal success as it is instant,
allows conversation/discussion, sharing of pictures and I even put up a 2
minute of the Long-billed Dowitcher feeding from Monday night. I think the
debate of what is better, or who likes what and blah blah online ads this
and that is actually pointless in this regard. For those that weren't on
Facebook, you missed all of this information that came pouring in
constantly. As mentioned in another email, by the time Long-billed
Dowitcher was on BA, I was already halfway to Lake Tutchewop thanks to the
instantness of Facebook. Because such a portion of the twitching community
is on Facebook the reality is that the conversation and instant reports
will be started here. Facebook was vital in the discussion of the LB
Dowitcher discussing things such as where the currently was "bird has moved
to NE corner" etc. These are instant luxuries that make twitching a little
bit easier - especially on tough birds and situations such as that. On that
Dowitcher Monday, I had Mike Carter on the phone a few times and I was
pretty much relaying to him all of the posts and discussions from Facebook
and some of the information from when we were actually in the field.

If I throw Eremaea Birdlines into this discussion - quite often reports are
shared online through Facebook way before published on this site also.
Instead of shaming and feeling negative towards Facebook, those that are
really twitchy and want to chase every bird, you've got a much better
chance of learning about vagrants first thanks to Facebook. To take a few
examples the following birds were posted and shared on Facebook before BA
and Eremaea in the last few weeks - Long-billed Dowitcher, South Island
Pied Oystercatcher, Eastern Yellow Wagtail (tschutschensis), pretty much
anything of interest in Victoria (can't speak for other states!) and even
way back to the North Lakes Little Bittern. I'm pretty sure I had booked my
flights to Brisbane before that made an appearance on other birding
platforms.

It's just a 'new' technology that twitches should be rejoicing in. I can
only imagine what twitching was like before mobile phones.....
Elect whichever online platform you wish to use, but I can assure you that
I will relying on Facebook for the fastest updates.

All the best fellas and fellarettes!

--
All the best,

James Mustafa