birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, September 29, 2014 to Sunday, October 5, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Monday, September 22, 2014

Location: Old Kersbrook Forest

Pallid Cuckoo (Cuculus pallidus) (1) Mature bird seen along one of the fire
tracks sitting quietly in a tree. Didn't hear it calling at all.

Old Kersbrook Forest (near Para Wirra Conservation Park) is Forestry SA land
and not open to the public. Sighting occurred while carrying out a site survey
as part of the Mount Lofty Ranges Woodland Bird Monitoring Program.

Reported by: Ali Ben Kahn on Thursday, October 2, 2014

Date: Monday, September 29, 2014

Location: Effluent lagoon 2 (the lagoon nearest the wetlands) and ponds, 8, 9,
Laratinga wetlands, Bald Hills Road, Mount Barker.

Blue-billed Duck (Oxyura australis) (1) Fully-coloured male swimming near a
group of Pink-eared Duck. Dived when it saw me, and reappeared quite a distance
away.

Freckled Duck (Stictonetta naevosa) (9) At least 9 birds, 1 on effluent lagoon
2, the others on ponds 8 and 9.

Reported by: Kevin and Lyn Williams on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Date: Monday, September 29, 2014

Location: St Peters

Red-rumped Parrot (Psephotus haematonotus) (1) Red-rumped parrots are very
scarce near where we live. A single male was fossicking in the grass in a
little park on the corner of Winchester St and 7th Ave. Not long afterwards
Pete saw 5 birds in the large eucalypt in our own back garden. This is another
new sighting for us ! Now our list has 32 birds that have actually put down
their feet in our garden.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Date: Monday, September 29, 2014

Location: Pengelly Scrub

Singing Honeyeater (Lichenostomus virescens) (1) Singing near the entrance
gate. Photo attached

Willie-wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys) (1) Near the nest. Photo attached

Willie-wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys) (1) On the nest. Photo attached

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater (Acanthagenys rufogularis) (1) Many throughout the
scrub. Photo attached

Reported by: Gordon Pateman on Friday, October 3, 2014