birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
From: notifications--- via Birding-Aus <>
Date: 18 Aug 2014 07:56:36 +1000
   Birdline Western Australia

   Published sightings for the week ending 17 Aug 2014.

   Thu 14 Aug Grey Honeyeater Newman Port Hedland Road
   An extended and quite pessimistic search for this bird extended over a
   large area in the Pilbara. We had effectively written off our chances
   and were returning to Newman. I decided to have a final couple of
   walks. On the last Jean protested at being left by the side of the road
   and asked that I return to a spot 500m back where we could park off the
   road. Sure enough I found three birds in Mulga. They quickly departed
   but returned to playback. Far more grey and monochrome than generally
   illustrated. Photos show birds raising feathers on the backs of their
   necks in a crest-like manner. No flowering erimophila or other plants
   evident in the area. Birds sighted approx 65km N of Newman. GPS
   available.
   Jean & Paul Newman
   Great-billed Heron Derby Wharf
   Great-billed Heron seen at wharf today on mud flats on incoming tide.
   Sue and Stephen King
   Sun 10 Aug Daurian Starling (Purple-backed Starling) Cocos Keeling
   Islands Golf Course
   This bird first seen on the 10th August at 9.00am by a golf player.
   Seen again on 11th at 5.00pm and 12th at 7.00am in and under a
   Guettarda Speciosa tree on the golf course/airstrip. The bird was
   feeding on the ground.
   Geof Christie and Pam Jones
   Mon 4 Aug Gouldian Finch Home Valley Station, Gibb River Road.
   Three birds seen at a small waterhole along the Bindoola Creek at Home
   Valley Station at 10.00am. Took a walk along the Creek Trail until end
   of waterhole and climbed over a rocky ledge to an area with small water
   holes. Three Gouldians seen in the presence of long tail finches and
   double bar finches.
   Sue and Stephen King
   Tue 29 Jul White-Quilled Rock Pigeon Galvan's Gorge
   Group of at least 5, probably 6, on sloping rocks adjacent to path just
   downstream of waterhole. White-throated, White-gaped and banded
   Honeyeaters all active in flowering Grevilleas.
   Neil Murray
   Mon 21 Jul Grey Wagtail Home Island, Cocos Keeling Islands.
   A Grey Wagtail settled in a Guava tree amongst the houses on Home
   Island for two and a half weeks while the wind was over 25 knots. When
   the southerly wind stopped the bird was gone, presumably heading North
   as it was in full breeding plumage.
   Geof Christie