birding-aus

More interesting albatross...

To: Kev Lobotomi <>, Rowan Mott <>, "" <>
Subject: More interesting albatross...
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:02:39 +0000
Thanks Kev,

Several of us, however, would not agree happily. Although I initially (at sea)
ID'd it as a Salvin's too, I now think that there are a number of features that
speak against it.
(1) The bill is in my opinion very pale - a hint for steadi?
(2) The primaries (even in full spread) seem to look good for salvini but p8
seems to have a white base as in steadi?
(3) And especially the leading edge looks more like that of a juvenile steadi
(October). In salvini (and likely also eremita) it should show the 'smudge'
caused by dark-tipped lesser and median underwing coverts
(4) In contrast, at this time of the year both cauta and steadi would show more
white on the head and cheeks due to wear.

Anyway, I think that it is likely a steadi - but at the very dark end (both for
head colour and for primaries). It's certainly an interesting bird.

For comparison, here is our submission of a juv Salvin's Albatross in June 2010
off Wollongong (yes, I am aware that between June and October much can happen
to plumage and bill coloration):
http://www.sossa-international.org/forum/content.php?519-nsw-ornithological-records-appraisal-committee-submissions
Scroll down to "Salvin's Albatross - June 2010 – Wollongong – Submission" and
klick on Submission.

Cheers,

Nikolas

A/Prof Nikolas Haass | Head, Experimental Melanoma Therapy Group

The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute
Level 6 | Translational Research Institute | 37 Kent Street | Woolloongabba QLD
4102

T: +61 (0)7 3443 7087 | M: +61 (0)424 603 579
F: +61 (0)7 3443 6966
E:   | W: www.di.uq.edu.au<http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>

[cid:<http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>
...Turning scientific discoveries into better treatments…

CRICOS Code 00025B

This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private or
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, you must take
no action based on it, nor show a copy to anyone. Kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Opinions and information in this email which do not relate to the
official business of The University of Queensland shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by the University