birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 2 Jun 2014 03:02:38 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 1 Jun 2014.

Sun 1 Jun Antarctic Prion, Soft-plumaged Petrel, Bullers Albatross Portland Pelagic
Antarctic Prion, Soft-plumaged Petrel, Bullers Albatross were amongst a list of 22 species of seabird seen off Portland on the monthly BirdLife Australia pelagic. Other species including NZ (Wandering), Black-browed, Campbell's and Shy Albatross, both forms of Great-winged Petrel, an out of season White-chinned Petrel, Grey-backed and Wilsons Storm Petrels and Sooty Shearwater.
Rohan Clarke and all on board the Southern Pride

Sat 31 May White Bellied Sea Eagle, Spotless Crake Braeside Park
Seen from western track near Governor Rd. perched on tree in main pond at around 9.40AM Spotless Crake was foraging in NW corner. Bittern not found.
John Daniels

Grey Goshawk (white morph) Deans Marsh township
As we drove into the township we noticed a white morph Grey Goshawk sitting in a roadside tree. Magpies were harassing it and as soon as it saw us looking at it it flew off. This is our second sighting of this species in a week so they must be breeding well!
Hedley and Irena Earl

Beach Stone Curlew Sugarloaf Creek, Great Ocean Road
BSC emerged from under the small creek bridge and slowly walked away until it was comfortable standing among piles of driftwood. Amazing to see this bird so far south but we believe it is the same bird that was located at Point Franklin earlier this year.
Hedley and Irena Earl

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Edithvale-Seaford Wetlands (Seaford)
Single seen for polonged views in low bush near commencement of reed beds on track heading east of Seaford North primary school. Calling quite consistently. Unusual for area and I have not noted here previously.
Rob Reed

Intermediate Egret, Australasian Bittern Braeside Park
Bittern as previously reported on western side of main pond. Intermediate Egret in small pond with little water between main pond and governor road gate. Both sighted before 8.30am. Photos available.
Joy Tansey

Fri 30 May Beach Stone Curlew Sugarloaf creek near Apollo BAy
I have never seen this bird before so I looked it up and thought I would share this. One bird seen on the beach - quiet area.
Ken Conrick

Freckled Duck Karkarook Park
Single Freckled Duck seen in pond near Warrigal Rd. Also single male Blue-billed Duck in different pond.
Arthur Carew & John Stirling

Australasian Bittern Braeside Park
The Bittern flew up from reeds about 50 metres ahead of us on the western side of the main wetlands. Nice views in flight and photographed. Headed east and looked to be landing not far away.
Owen Lishmund, Steve Lishmund

Olive Whistler Colquhoun Regional Park (Mississippi Trail) at Oil Bore Crossing, near Swan Reach
A pair feeding on Sword Grass fruit and not too concerned about me before moving on.
Ken Sherring

Thu 29 May Barn Owl Pakington St, Newtown
Single Barn Owl being jeered by others in a peppercorn tree mid morning.
Brett Roberts

White-fronted Honeyeater, Swift Parrot Rushworth State Forest
Single White-fronted Honeyeater heard and subsequently caught and banded at the northern end of Rushworth State Forest, in area of mixed mallee and box-ironbark. Also two separate small flocks of 6 Swift Parrots moving through.
Dean Ingwersen

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Trentham
Singe bird feeding on Banksias in our garden.
Trevor Speirs

Wed 28 May Grey-crowned Babbler Murray Valley Highway (near Lake Moodemere)
A family of seven Grey-crowned Babbler seen in roadside vegetation. Earlier on the same highway there were three Pied Butcherbirds in roadside trees.
Nick Talbot

Regent Honeyeater Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park
Following James Mustafa report located Regent Honeyeater in forest adjacent to Ryans road. Did not appear to be a banded bird.
Maria Valencia

Tue 27 May Black Falcon Bacchus Marsh
Perching pair of Black Falcons in Grey Box. Possibly the pair from Sat 24/5 (see report #217989). Observed flying from trees at 17:40hrs possibly hunting bats.
David Whelan with Bernie McRitchie

Tawny Grassbird, Black Falcon Woodlands Industrial Estate, Braeside
Heard the 'chuk' alarm calls of the Tawny Grassbird intermittently over the course of half and hour in north-western corner of the reedy swamp this morning, the same place I saw it on Sunday. Refused to show itself, perhaps due to the wind. The Australasian Bittern wasn't present, presumably hiding in Braeside Park but a nice surprise was a male Black Falcon passing overhead heading towards Braeside Park
Tim Nickholds

Mon 26 May Australasian Bittern, Magpie Goose Woodlands Industrial Estate, Braeside
Following up Tim's report I found the Australasian Bittern soaring over the site upon arrival. No luck with the Tawny Grassbird, but 2 Magpie Geese flew alongside the site and into Braeside providing good views.
James Mustafa

Swift Parrot Ocean Grove
Alerted by their calls! 11 Swifties in slow flight, heading east over my home in Teatree Close at 12-45 today. Quite a few street side Yellow gums have come into flower over the past week. I feel this has attracted a few more swifties to the area!
Denis Sleep

Sun 25 May Bar-tailed Godwit (leucistic) Port Phillip Bay (Mud Islands Reserve)
A leucistic individual with a flock of approx 50 normal coloured birds, some of which showed traces of breeding plumage.
Euan Moore, Jenny Rolland, Tracey-Ann Hooley

Speckled Warbler Coys Diggings section of Bailieston Historic Reserve
3 Speckled Warblers at Coys Diggings, a species we have not seen here for quite some time.
John Barkla, Alison Street & Frank O'Connor

Tawny-crowned Honeyeater Private property 200m north of Bailieston Historic Reserve
A single Tawny-crowned Honeyeater brought our honeyeater tally to 13 species in our trip to Bailieston (the others were New Holland, Black-chinned, White-naped, White-eared, Yellow-faced, Fuscous, White-plumed, Yellow-tufted, Eastern Spinebill, Noisy Friarbird, Red Wattlebird and Noisy Miner).
John Barkla, Alison Street & Frak O'Connor

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Black-chinned Honeyeater Bailieston Historic Reserve, Bailieston
One Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, one White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike and 7 Black-chinned Honeyeaters seen together (and potentially different ones calling later in different parts of the reserve).
John Barkla, Alison Street & Frank O'Connor

Swift Parrot Bailieston Historical Reserve, Bailieston
25 birds (9 in one tree + 16 in an adjacent tree) in view at one time early in the morning and many other sightings of groups of 2 to 6 potentially different birds within the reserve and on the adjacent properties. Whilst we could not be certain they were not from the original 25, our guess was there were potentially up to 50 or 60 birds present.
John Barkla, Alison Street & Frank O'Connor

Powerful Owl Bairnsdale
After an unsuccessful night undertaking Powerful Owl surveys, one just flew into the side of my car opposite Clifton Waters Village at Wy Yung. A little dazed and confused it flew off seemingly unharmed. Very atypical Powerful Owl habitat - urban, a few scattered trees, surrounded by farmland and more than 5km from the closest (albeit small) forest fragment. Perhaps in town chasing fruit bats?
Rohan Bilney

Whistling Kite Murray Street Caulfield, near Caulfield Hospital
One Whistling Kite flying slowly north against the wind, escorted by a couple of unhappy Little Ravens, about 1:30 pm. Unusual sighting over such a built-up area.
Jack Krohn

Sat 24 May Black Falcon Rowsley Valley
A pair seen soaring above the Glenmore Rd, spotted by Bernie McRitchie. A group of trailbike riders were travelling along the paddocks adjacent to the Parwan Creek and they flushed what was likely to be potential prey, as one bird plummeted towards the riders and the second followed soon after. At least one bird was seen by both observers circling at height a short time later.
David Whelan with Bernie McRitchie

Swift Parrot Serendip Sanctuary
Four Swift Parrots flew overhead in a north-westerly direction near the office buildings in the early afternoon. There are not many flowering gums at Serendip currently, so presumably they were flying towards the You Yangs. Also some Crimson Rosellas are returning and a female Darter at the billabong.
Ruth Woodrow

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.