birding-aus

Another Morepork has crossed Bass Strait

To: "" <>
Subject: Another Morepork has crossed Bass Strait
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:26:35 +1000
G'day all

I've been checking my garden to see if last year's Morepork would return.
So far it's a no show.

However one was photographed in Mount Worth State Park (s of Warragul in
Gippsland, Vic) on Friday evening by Brian Johnstone and Beth Carr.  It
looks just like 'my' bird.  See:
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=1 for a
picture of the Gippsland bird.

So, everyone in the se mainland should keep their eyes open for Moreporks
and let's see if we can add more pieces to the puzzle of how commonly they
cross from Tasmania in winter.  I suppose Tassy records through winter
would be useful as well.  Anyone with photos of winter 'boobooks' in the se
mainland should check for Moreporks.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic