birding-aus

Albany Pelagic Trip Report - 3rd May 2014

To: "" <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Albany Pelagic Trip Report - 3rd May 2014
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 21:51:45 +0800
Hi all,

I've finally finished the report for another successful Albany Pelagic trip run
on the 3rd May this year. The report with photos is viewable online at
http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/albany-pelagic-trip-3-may-2014.html
 but I include the text-only version below.

Highlights included good numbers of Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, brief views of
a South Polar Skua, and a couple of prions including a Fairy (very good bird
off WA!)

Cheers,
John

Participants: Alan Collins (Organiser), John Graff (Organiser), James Bennett,
Alan Danks, Rose Ferrell, Stewart Ford, Dougald Frederick, Nigel Jackett, David
Mitford, Margot Oorebeek, Stuart Pickering, Jon Pridham, Colin Reid, Mark
Stanley, Peter Taylor, Ray Turnbull, Nathan Waugh, John Weigel

Conditions: Seas were forecast to be 1-1.5m, with a swell of 2.5-3m, easing a
little through the day, which promised a bumpy ride on the outbound journey
particularly. Moderate SSW’ly winds of 15knts were forecast, easing to 10knts
through the day. Conditions were reasonably close to the forecast, though winds
appeared more westerly.

Report
This trip was another excellent trip, continuing the recent success of early
May trips from Albany – at least18 tubenose species were seen, a record for
Albany pelagics, highlighted by several prions, including a Fairy Prion (a
rarity in WA). A South Polar Skua (and probably a second) were also seen,
strengthening suspicions that the species is a regular passage migrant off the
WA coast in April-May – unfortunately views were frustratingly brief and
distant. Although we saw a good variety of species, total albatross numbers
were notably low.

We left Emu Point a little after 0700, and picked up the first Flesh-footed
Shearwaters as we crossed King George Sound. A few people also had brief views
of three Little Penguins, and we stopped briefly for a close pass from a
Humpback Whale. We passed through the heads, but there was little activity
initially. We did eventually hit some activity, with a Hutton’s Shearwater and
the first White-faced Storm-Petrel making an appearance. A Little Shearwater
was seen briefly off the bow but as is frustratingly often the case with this
species, it quickly disappeared amongst the waves. The major excitement came
when two skuas were seen ahead. The nearer of these was a nice pale
intermediate South Polar Skua. The second was probably another one, but no-one
was able to get IDable views. Unfortunately, they both continued purposefully
east. The first Wilson’s Storm-Petrel was seen soon after, but things quietened
down for a period until we approached the shelf edge. Albatross were almost
non-existent, with two Shy Albatross the only ones seen on the entire outbound
journey. As we approached the shelf break, we picked up the first Great-winged
and Soft-plumaged Petrels, and a giant-petrel was seen briefly – views were
insufficient to confirm the species with certainty, though it appeared to be a
Southern.

We stopped the boat in 800m of water and started to chum. The Flesh-footed
Shearwaters and Wilson’s Storm-Petrel started to gather immediately, and were
joined by an immature Black-browed Albatross. The numbers of storm-petrels grew
quickly, and within minutes the call went out for Black-bellied Storm-Petrel,
which made a pass across the back of the boat allowing excellent views. This
proved to be the first of many, as up to five individuals were everpresent in
the slick for the rest of the day, making many close passes of the boat.
Great-winged and Soft-plumaged Petrels made regular passes, along with Shy
Albatross and the first Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross of the day. After an hour
and a half or so, we moved back up the slick as far as the skipper was able to
follow it. The numbers of Wilson’s Storm-Petrel in the slick continued to grow,
with Black-bellied and White-faced Storm-Petrels joining them in smaller
numbers. Then the call went out for a Wandering Albatross, which made a circuit
of the boat before disappearing. The plumage characteristics of this bird made
taxon identification uncertain, with any of exulans, gibsoni or dabbenena
possible. Two sharks were seen near the boat in the area, the first was
considered to be a Blue Shark and the second a whaler sp. (possibly a Bronze
Whaler, but there are at least two similar species that would be inseparable on
the views obtained).

We made our final move of the day at midday, travelling out to 1000m of water
and setting out a new slick. Not long after stopping, an adult Campbell
Albatross made a pass, but otherwise it remained quiet until a container ship
passed in the mid-distance off the stern. The call went out for a Wandering
Albatross (most likely gibsoni), which was rapidly followed by an old immature
or sub-adult Campbell Albatross, and then a third Wandering Albatross for the
day. This Wanderer landed at the back of the boat, the first time one has come
into the boat for several trips – the extensive white in the plumage suggested
this bird was most likely exulans. The major excitement came shortly
afterwards, when a prion was called in the slick. Widely varying opinions were
voiced on the identification; this may be explained by the two-bird theory as
photos suggested there may have been two birds present; a Slender-billed Prion
and a Fairy Prion. The Fairy Prion showed reasonably well in the slick, and a
number of photos were obtained. Unfortunately, no conclusive photos of the
possible Slender-billed Prion have been obtained, so it remains unconfirmed.
Fairy Prion is a particularly good record; the species is considered rare in WA
waters and this is the first record for a WA pelagic trip.

We had to head for home at about 1400, but within minutes of commencing the
return journey another prion was seen off the stern and we stopped the boat.
Unfortunately the bird did not hang around, but photos indicate it was an
Antarctic/Salvin’s type, with the size and shape of the head suggesting
Salvin’s Prion. However, after discussion, it was concluded that conclusive
identification was not possible on the available evidence. A shark was also
seen briefly while we were stopped. The rest of the return trip was relatively
uneventful aside from a couple of Black-browed Albatross, although it was
interesting to see both Wilson’s and White-faced Storm-Petrel within King
George Sound. We docked relatively late, a little short of 1700. As always,
many thanks to all the participants, and to Tony and Fred from Spinners
Charters.

Species List [Total Count (Maximum no. seen at one time)]
Little Penguin 3 (3)
Wandering Albatross [sp] 3 (1) – 1+ exulans, 1 gibsoni
Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross 6 (2)
Black-browed Albatross 4 (2)
Campbell Albatross 2 (1)
Shy Albatross 12 (2)
Giant-Petrel sp. [probably Southern] 1 (1)
Great-winged Petrel 35 (6)
Soft-plumaged Petrel 25 (3)
Antarctic/Salvin’s Prion [probable Salvin’s] 1 (1)
Slender-billed Prion 1 possible (1)
FAIRY PRION 1 (1)
Flesh-footed Shearwater 150 (30)
Hutton’s Shearwater 3 (2)
Little Shearwater 1 (1)
Wilson's Storm-Petrel 500 (85)
Black-bellied Storm-Petrel 40 (5)
White-faced Storm-Petrel 12 (1)
South Polar Skua 1 (1) – second skua seen travelling with this bird also likely
a South Polar
Australasian Gannet 15 (7)

Humpback Whale 1 (1)
Blue Shark 1 (1)