birding-aus

RFI Barren Grounds Nature Reserve, NSW

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI Barren Grounds Nature Reserve, NSW
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 10:03:53 +1100
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 11:30:29PM +1100, Jenny Stiles wrote:
> Rod & I are heading down to the Barren Grounds this weekend for
> our first visit, inspired by recent reports of lots of Eastern
> Bristlebirds and calling Ground Parrots. I can't seem to find a
> good map with walking trails marked on it. Will it be clear where
> to go when we get there? Where would be the best areas to look for
> Bristlebirds? Any advice appreciated!

John Evans, a Canberra bushwalker who has a very useful website
on bushwalks in an around the ACT has a description:
http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/Walk%20Descriptions/2012_09_11.html
not that you need to search for bristlebirds.

A good spot for bristlebirds is the short service trail that comes right
off the Cooks Nose trail not far from the car park.  It goes past a
weather station down to a little creek.  Haven't been there for a couple
of years but on quite a few visits I've watched bristlebirds forage across
that trail, sometimes hopping to with a metre or two of me.   If you are
lucky you might come across a ground parrot feeding close to that trail.

The first km or so of the Cook's Nose trail is also good but you may
have bristlebirds fly across the road as you drive in, or see them in
the car park.

If you come across bristlebirds duetting its interesting to observe which
bird is initating the duets.  You can watch/hear duets being initiated
by both male & female - not that you can tell which is which.

Don't try walking into the heath to see Ground Parrots.  They are
reluctant to fly during the day and can just move away from you unseen
through the heat.  They are more likely to fly if they happen to be
feeding close to a trail when you walk past but you need to be lucky and
even luckier to see one thats not flying.

Andrew