birding-aus

"Heuglin's" Gull in Thailand

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: "Heuglin's" Gull in Thailand
From: Stephen Murray <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:32:34 +1000
Hi Dave.
  In Robson's "Birds of SE Asia" (2005 ed) there is a discussion of this.
Where the birds in Thailand (winter visitors) were considered to be a paler
subspecies Larus heuglini taimyrensis. However, Robson states that this may
not be a valid taxon, and that the birds may be Heuglin's/Vega Gull hybrids.
In other words true Heuglin's Gulls may not occur in the region (maybe this
is where IOC is coming from). This view is also expressed in the Wikipedia
entry for Heuglin's Gull. The situation seems a bit unclear.
Cheers Steve Murray