birding-aus

Leanyer Sewage Ponds

To: John Rawsthorne <>, <>
Subject: Leanyer Sewage Ponds
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:39:46 +0930
Hi John

Martin the caretaker whom I've known for decades often warned me about his
dogs.  They weren't wild but would attack any one near his property.  There
are wild dogs as well, and they're large.  I often saw their footprints, and
so only ever went with a companion.  Wherever I think dogs might be a
problem I carry a piece of chain.  Swung around one's head it keeps
attacking dogs at bay.

I've seen 3 m. crocodiles in that drain just outside the fence (on the
southern side). And they weren't the only dangers.  Once we came upon a
crocodile of that size that had been shot and partly skinned.  Not that I'm
suggesting this might happen to birders, but people do go shooting there and
some aren't particularly careful about aiming.

But you're right - it is a nice walk.  Mangrove Golden Whistler can
sometimes be seen in the Avicennia marina growing along the drains.  One can
sneak up on the males when they're singing; however, birders need to be
careful nothing else is stalking them.

Zitting Cisticola inhabit the short grasslands plus occasionally buttonquail
(Red-backed and Red-chested), and Swinhoe's Snipe.   I remember once a
suspected Baikal Teal turning up in that area.

One should also check out the orange-flowered Helicteres isora growing along
the main track, for honeyeaters.

Denise