birding-aus

Fw: Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp

To: "" <>
Subject: Fw: Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:13:24 -0800 (PST)
Re-sending this as I received an instant 'message failure' email when I tried
to send earlier. Apologies if the original arrives as well as this one.

On Friday, 24 January 2014 11:31 AM, Mick Roderick <> wrote:

Hi all,

The Buff-breasted Sandpiper found by Rod Warnock last Saturday was re-found
(for the first time to my knowledge) on Hexham Swamp this morning by Dan
Williams. It appears to be a non-breeding adult.

The bird was not far from the place that it was originally photographed, but on
the opposite side of the track. Although it was sat quite comfortably for a
time, at about 10am it was harassed by a Sharpie and took flight, coming to
land somewhere amongst a very large flock of Sharpies on a large pond to the
west of the track. This was quite distant and no-one has re-found it since (to
my knowledge).

A reminder about access to this site. Read my post to Birding-aus from last
week.

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2014-01/msg00244.html ;

I have heard that a couple of people have been turned away due to them "not
having done the induction". The security people that have said that are
ill-informed and birders should point out that no induction is required (they
escort you through anyway). I have since spoken again with the people that have
arranged the access and they were going to talk to the guys "on the ground" to
make sure this doesn't happen again. If you really get stuck, give me a call.

A Ruff, probable Pec and 3 or 4 Yellow Wagtails were seen this morning,
including a likely taivana bird (photographed). There are at least 2
'taivana-types', possibly 3, out there now (though the first bird, found on the
8th Jan has not been seen since).

Cheers

Mick